Railroad Forums 

• Passenger dark gray paint

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1324701  by bill8106

Was the Du Pont Duco lacquer 83-23854 dark gray that was used on passenger units painted in lightning stripes the dark same gray that was used on the experimental cigar-band schemes of the early 1960's and the eventual gray with full-length cigar band scheme?

thanks in advance,

Bill
 #1325822  by NYC1956

From my passenger car painting notes:
* 1960 - Dark gray changed to #83-67117.
* 1960s - Headend cars painted solid gray.

This color change applied to diesel locomotives as well.
Reference to color photos indicate this gray was a darker shade than what was used previously.
This would be the gray used in the cigar band schemes of the 1960s.

Mike Kmetz
 #1325984  by bill8106

Thank you Mike, I had a feeling they were different but it's difficult to tell by just looking at color photos. I recently picked up a copy of Morning Sun Books' Trackside in the Albany NY Gateway, which has more photos of the experimental paint schemes than I've seen in other books and it made me ask the question. Another clue was that it looks like the cigar band gray faded differentlty than the lightning stripe gray.