Railroad Forums 

• Partial LV Alco C628 still exists!

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#123807  by scottychaos

amazing news! :-D
I got an email about a week ago from Damion Pinta, who was just casually wondering if I knew about the LV C628 long hood that still existed in a scrap yard?! Image
I didnt!

Its at the former Pielet Bros yard.
(they arent Pielet Bros anymore)
Its not complete, its the long hood, on the ground, the frame (and probably the trucks) and the rear of the long hood with the numberboards still displaying the LV number.

No Cab, no engine, no handrails, and probably no nose.

Damion took the photos about 5 years ago.
Not sure if the parts are still there.
they could have been wholly scrapped by now.
but..if they survived this long, its quite possible they are still there!

My immediate thought was "preservation"! :-D
but..im afraid there might not really be enough to save.
If the frame and trucks are there, in theory you could put the long hood back on the frame, graft on any Century cab and nose from another unit, and have a basically complete C628 for display!
Damion says the handrails are gone from the frame too..
so basically its about half of a C628..
probably not enough to make it worthwhile..
but maybe thats just me being too pessismistic?
it might be worth looking into!
especially considering there is not one single surviving C628 in the US.

Damion found this information, which probably refers to this unit.
From "Diesel Era" magazine, May/June 1996.
""The LV C-628's were assigned Conrail numbers 6721-6737, but two were retired without being renumbered. LV 633 and 636 were retired on March 20, 1978, and traded to EMD in June without receiving their Conrail numbers"."

so this unit is likely either 633 or 636.
and..it cant be 633 since 633 was red by the time of CR.
So it must be 636.
633 and 636 were traded to EMD on 3/20/78.
and both were reported "scrapped Pielet Bros (IL)."
here are the pics!
thanks Damion!
Scot

#124178  by GOLDEN-ARM

I AM READY, TO GO SEE, FOR MYSELF. ANYONE GOT DIRECTIONS, TO THIS PLACE ? I HAVE A LITTLE FREE-TIME, RIGHT NOW, AND I AM THINKING THIS WOULD LOOK GREAT, ON DISPLAY IN MY FRONT YARD. DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE ANY MORE THAN JUST A SMALL PORTION OF THE HOOD. REGARDS, LV GOLDEN-ARM

#124211  by jmp883

Like Scottychaos said, iy's probably not even worth the effort to try and restore the entire unit.

But, after looking at the pictures, how about someone buying what's left (if it's still around to be bought), restoring the LV paint, and turning it into a storage shed, or something like that........it's a shame that there isn't enough to preserve the whole locomotive, but something is better than nothing.

#124226  by Brad Smith

Either you guys aren't married or your wife is cut from a different cloth than mine!
Your neighbors and zoning code enforcement officer too.
 #124328  by GOLDEN-ARM

MY WIFE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY COOL. COMPARED TO THE THINGS THAT I COULD BE OUT DOING, AND WHAT I COULD BE SPENDING MONEY ON, RAILROADING/COLLECTING IS SAFE AND HARMLESS. I WILL ASK ANYONE WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH THIS COMPANY/LOCATION TO ATTEMPT TO SEE IF THIS PIECE STILL EXISTS. I AM VERY INTERESTED IN PURCHASING IT, AND CARRYING HOME ON A TRAILER. A METAL FRAME TO HOLD THE BOTTOM IN PLACE, AND IT COULD STAY ON THE TRAILER. IF IT IS STILL THERE, I WILL GO CHECK IT OUT MYSELF, AND ALSO SEARCH FOR ANY OTHER CARBODY PARTS, CAB ETC., FROM THE LV ALCOS. I AM THINKING IT WOULD LOOK COOL, TO BE DISPLAYED SOMEWHERE (SAYRE ?) IF SOMEONE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DISPLAYING IT. IF NOT, WOULD MAKE A KILLER SHED (MY FIRST THOUGHT, WHEN I SAW THE PIX ) WITH CATWALKS AND HANDRAILS BEING ADDED, TO THIS SECTION. LOOKING AT THE PIX, THERE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A FRAME, UNDER THE LOCO. TRUCKS USUALLY DONT LAST LONG, IN A SCRAP YARD, WITH THE TRACTION MOTORS BEING SELLABLE, FOR REBUILDING, OR FOR COPPER REMOVAL. THE FRAME IS USELESS, EXCEPT FOR SCRAP METAL, AND THE ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS ARE ALSO DESIREABLE FOR REBUILDING, OR FOR SCRAP. CABS, FUEL TANKS, AIR TANKS ALSO ARE USUALLY SCRAP METAL, RADIATORS FOR RECYCLING, AND AIR COMPRESSORS ARE SOLD FOR REBUILDING. I WAS SUPRISED TO SEE THE SECTION OF HOOD, STILL THERE . MIGHT HAVE BEEN USED BY THE SCRAPPER, AS A SHED OF SOME SORT, AS THIS IS EASILY SCRAPPED. HAVING SPENT MANY A DAY AT NAPORANOS, IN NEWARK, WATCHING THEM SCRAP C-630 AND 636 ALCO'S, I KNOW IT TAKES LITERALLY ONLY HOURS TO REDUCE A LOCO, TO A FEW PILES OF SCRAP, AND SALVAGE. FUEL TANKS ARE PILED UP FOR LATER CLEANING/CUTTING, AND THE REST IS STACKED INTO SALVAGE PILES, OR CUT INTO 3 FOOT SECTIONS, FOR LOADING INTO A GON, OR FED INTO A SHREDDER/BAILER. I HAVE SEEN THEM STACK-UP CABS, FOR ATTEMPTED RE-SALE, BUT THESE TOO WERE EVENTUALLY SEEN BEING CUT UP, AND LOADED INTO A SHREDDER/BAILER.
 #125024  by Lehighrrgreg

If it can be rescued and if you want to save it, I will offer the property surrounding the LVRR passenger station in Sayre, PA. You can put it on loan with the Sayre Historical Society so you can retain ownership but we can maintain it. We are immune to zoning :wink:

Good luck!

Greg

#125046  by GOLDEN-ARM

HEY, GREG. I WAS CURIOUS. DID ANYONE EVER COME UP WITH THE OWNERS OF THE TRIANGLE SHAPED BLOCK, ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE LV STATION ? I STONGLY BELIEVE THIS BLOCK SHOULD BE "RAZED", AND RESTORED TO THE PARK, WHICH USED TO STAND HERE. A GREAT MEMORIAL PARK, FOR THE LVRR, LVRRVA, AND A GREAT PLACE FOR A LOCO, CAR AND CAB. I KNOW AN EARLIER DISCUSSION WAS AGAINST THIS, DUE TO NOT WANTING TO PUT THE DISCOUNT STORE OUT OF BUSINESS, BUT THERE ARE OTHER LOCATIONS IN TOWN, FOR THAT RETAILER. I WOULD THROW SOME FINANCIAL BACKING, INTO SUCH AN ENDEAVOR, IF IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO ACCOMPLISH THE RESTORATION OF THE ORIGINAL LVRR PARK. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ? ALSO, IF THE LOCO PARTS ARE AVAILABLE, AND CAN BE PURCHASED, CONSIDER THEM LOANED. REGARDS.
 #125068  by Lehighrrgreg

Hey Golden..

You make a very good point about the concrete and mold museum across the street. I have been on a crusade against it for quite some time. I could care less about the municipal tax rolls like some do because Sayre surgically extracts its bountiful revenue from its residents as well as all the other businesses. 1/3 of the building is all that is used and the rest is just storage for the dollar store. Currently the dollar store leases the property from its original owners, which is a group in southern pa that originally obtained it as Newberrys. The borough was working at it at some point but I doubt they want anything to change. There is a lot of legal questions concerning the orginal transfer from park to building that need to be looked into. Hopefully something will change at some point but for now, it looks like it will come down from natural causes sooner than it will with human intervention.
Glad to accomodate your rescue intentions .

-Greg

#133464  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Ive seen worse paint on units in service....

#477517  by Lehighton_Man

LIKE GA SAID. I"D LIKE SOME DIRECTIONS TO THIS PLEASE.
I WOULD BRING MONEY AND BUY THE REMAINING PIECES!!!
THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE FIND!!

#477523  by scottychaos

hmmm..
apparently I must have posted this in more than one forum..
because there was a thread somewhere else where this whole topic was discussed and "put to rest" much more throughly that it was in this thread..
it was probably over at RF.net..

anyway..
further research was done on this scrap yard and the chances of this snowbird hood still existing.
it was determined that the former scrap yard was sold and completely cleaned out, and is now used for tractor trailer storage.

the hood is gone..probably scrapped.

Scot