Railroad Forums 

• Parlor PATCHOGUE in a wreck?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1556429  by nyandw

nyandw wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:19 pm Ed indicated in his text that he took photos the next day. So we have the date of Nov 6th for this incident... See the composite photo previous with the "big hook" in it.
Did a bit of newspaper digging: The East Hampton Star - LIRR Derailment November 6th, 1966
Sunday Evening Nov 6th, 1966 7:05pm westbound from Montauk.
 #1556561  by nyandw

Just a sidebar on the libraries that have LIRR photos: Ziel negs are at Queensborough Public Library The cost is more like $40 if my memory serves me correct and that was about 10 years ago.

Roslyn Library charged me 25 for a print plus another 25 for the publication right for the print = $50 for each of their prints

I don't go near Stony Brook anymore. It cost $35 just to park there now. You can't even use your camera there anymore. You have to pay them to scan every print that you want. Don't know that cost/didn't bother to ask.

Bklyn Public Library does the same with Brainerd's glass plate negatives. They wanted $50 for a contact print back in 1986 when Ziel was working on his Victorian Stations book!

Sad to say, but it appears that libraries are places where history goes to die. Do yourselves and the historical community and DO NOT leave your material to libraries!
Last edited by nyandw on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1556581  by RGlueck

Which why we should share every historic and non-historic image we can online NOW. Get them out into the public. Slides and negatives are not so much about earning your retirement, as they are about the sharing of information. That sharing is called research and knowledge!