Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#989249  by Head-end View

I used that station daily back in the 1970's, and still use it once in a while. If it's the passageway/stairwell I'm thinking of near the token booth, it used to go up a stairwell into a building lobby, if I remember right. I too was dismayed to see it closed off.
 #990936  by andre

the gated off passage way used to be the subway entrance to 99 Church Street, Moodys Investors Service/Corporation. I worked there back in 2004. The building was sold and demolished when Moodys moved into the WTC recently. The entrance was only open to employees of Moodys and was guarded by building security at all times. Also the entrance was only open M-F during the AM and PM rush hours.
 #991046  by Head-end View

We seem to be talking about 2 different passageways. The one I referred to was at the "B'way" end of the station, at the corner of Park Pl. I don't remember the one you're talking about, which must have been at the opposite end of the station by Church St.
 #991257  by andre

Head-end View wrote:We seem to be talking about 2 different passageways. The one I referred to was at the "B'way" end of the station, at the corner of Park Pl. I don't remember the one you're talking about, which must have been at the opposite end of the station by Church St.

yes same passageway that leads into a building lobby... its the one and only one that leads into a building and it is on the broadway end of the station near a token booth... the area has changed drastically over the past few years with the construction of the WTC...

unless your referring to the connection to the old PATH station thats currently boarded up pending the construction of WTC
 #991262  by Head-end View

Okay, yes we do mean the same place after all. But, how could the address be 99 Church St? This is a full block over from Church St. at the corner of B'way. Sorry, (chuckle!) I should remember better, since I used to work right there at 250 B'way on the other corner of Park Pl. Next time I'm in that area, I'll take another look.
 #991524  by andre

yeah i used to use the staircase into the lobby of 99 church all the time... the building was adjacent to the woolworth building and at one time also had a connection through the lobby to the subway