Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#3177  by CarterB

What became of the Park cars that were to be auctioned last fall?

#3297  by Ken V

As far as I can tell nothing happened and VIA's still got 'em. I guess there were no interested buyers willing to put in a minimum bid.

#3341  by missthealcos

Sure would be nice if they would rebuild them....

#3533  by viafan

If they are not going to rebuild them, a donation of 1 each to the Cranbrook Museum and the CRHA Museum in Delson/St. Constant would be very fitting!!

#3623  by CarterB

Anyone know what the minimum bid was?

#3682  by missthealcos

viafan wrote:If they are not going to rebuild them, a donation of 1 each to the Cranbrook Museum and the CRHA Museum in Delson/St. Constant would be very fitting!!
Very Fitting, since other than one fire damaged Manor car, they are the only relatively original condition CP SS cars left.

Yes, if they are not going to rebuild them(which they prob won't), they should go to museums, before they end up sold to US buyers, and eventually modified. Someone get on this...

#5545  by CarterB

What was the minimum bid VIA was asking?
 #5581  by jhdeasy

Dan Ainsworth (a.k.a. "Pismobum" of dome car website fame) says:

Bill Harmon purchased the "Algonquin Park" and "Silver Sky".

Henry Parnell got either the "Riding Mountain Park" or "Sibley Park" with the other car remaining unsold.

#6028  by CarterB

What do Harry Parnell and Bill Harmon plan to do with them and where are the cars now?

#7767  by jhdeasy

I'm told all 4 cars are still sitting on shop trucks by the diesel locomotive test plant at Via's MMC.

SIBLEY PARK is the car that was not sold.

Harry Purnell of Birmingham AL, new owner of RIDING MOUNTAIN PARK, is the former owner of heavyweight business car SAN MARINO. He has experience managing the refurbishing of a private car and operating a private car on Amtrak.

I don't know Bill Harman of Saginaw MI, new owner of ALGONQUIN PARK and SILVER SKY.

#8143  by CarterB

I wish the new owners AND the Park cars well!!! Hope they are 'saved' for service.