Railroad Forums 

• PAR wants to operate ex-MMA/BAR trackage

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#906942  by Cowford

I was quoting trackspv. Sorry, for some reason half the functionality of this site, e.g. quoting, highlighting, etc has ceased to work for me.

Keep in mind that a lot of track "maintenance" is capitalized, not expensed.
 #906964  by KSmitty

Cowford wrote:I was quoting trackspv. Sorry, for some reason half the functionality of this site, e.g. quoting, highlighting, etc has ceased to work for me.
Ditto, Quote works fine if I click "quote" on the post before I enter the reply screen. If I'm already in the reply screen none of the buttons work...
 #907064  by MEC407

It's a sitewide problem, although the cursor issue doesn't seem to affect Firefox users (as far as I can tell).
 #907115  by b&m 1566

I’ve been having those issues for a while now and always thought it was my computer because my fiancé’s computer everything works fine (Firefox).
 #907135  by KSmitty

Well, were only a little O/T :D

Anyway. I don't know about the text/cursor thing, hasn't happened to me, but I none of the button on the reply screen work and I run Firefox.
 #907137  by MEC407

Yes, the thing with the buttons is a known issue (since November '10) and is affecting everybody, regardless of what browser they're using. The new site admins are aware of it but there is no ETA for a fix, unfortunately.

FMI: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 47&t=77064
 #1205665  by MEC407

Given recent events at MMA, and given PAR's previous bid, I think it's safe to say that there's a pretty good chance they'd bid again if more MMA trackage falls into state ownership and goes out to bid. However, the other side of the coin is that NBSR/EMRY/MNR would now have an even greater advantage than they did previously... so maybe PAR wouldn't bother. Thoughts?

MEC407 wrote:Yes, the thing with the buttons is a known issue (since November '10) and is affecting everybody, regardless of what browser they're using. The new site admins are aware of it but there is no ETA for a fix, unfortunately.

FMI: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=77064
P.S. Those issues with the buttons have now been fixed. :-D
 #1205690  by doublestack

newpylong wrote:My guess is Searsport branch and Northern Maine Junction (for the reloads) or nothing. The rest of the MM&A is marginal at best.
Why not include Brownville Jct. to NMJ too? This would allow Pan Am to interchange with NBSR at two different locations if needed and direct service for shippers like Moose River lumber (Jackman) and Fraser lumber (Masardis). It would also open up another option for Pan Am's crude oil trains if the Bangor route was out of service.
 #1205771  by CPF363

doublestack wrote:
newpylong wrote:My guess is Searsport branch and Northern Maine Junction (for the reloads) or nothing. The rest of the MM&A is marginal at best.
Why not include Brownville Jct. to NMJ too? This would allow Pan Am to interchange with NBSR at two different locations if needed and direct service for shippers like Moose River lumber (Jackman) and Fraser lumber (Masardis). It would also open up another option for Pan Am's crude oil trains if the Bangor route was out of service.
The Maine Central railroad or the Springfield Terminal railway could make an offer to purchase the Searsport-Brownville line from the bankruptcy court. Pan Am would then have a more workable connection with the main line to the west, east and north. If this were completed, the reasons for maintaining the line to Mattawamkeag many no longer be necessary with the Freight Main beginning at Brownville Jct. instead.
 #1205821  by markhb

if PAR takes over Brownville-Searsport, they may as well go the last few miles and handle the Millinockets (I believe that's as far as MMA kept when they sold the Aroostook system to the state). At that point, [N|E]MRY could take over the old CP line through to Saint Jean (I think that's the endpoint) in Canada, giving Irving a direct connection to CN & CP for their Alberta oil traffic. (I'm working on the theory that the MMA would essentially be carved up into non-existence, and that the Lac Megantic line can be reopened.)
 #1205855  by doublestack

markhb wrote:if PAR takes over Brownville-Searsport, they may as well go the last few miles and handle the Millinockets (I believe that's as far as MMA kept when they sold the Aroostook system to the state.
That wouldn't work as far as a return investment for Pan Am. The reason why, they would have to eat the Brownville junction yard too. The maintenance cost per track mile would out weight the bottom line profit for that few extra miles to Millinocket. NBSR/MNRY would be the best choice for buying the junction and points north as they now own the trackage east from there to McAdam, N.B.
 #1205908  by fogg1703

One would think the last thing PAR needs is to add marginally profitable trackage in need of maintenance. Even if the state takes over, the potential traffic for PAR is minimal compared to an integrated Irving system.