Railroad Forums 

• PAR Office Cars out and about -12/20

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#336730  by sery2831

This morning, my train #404 was delayed in Ayer for 3 mins because the bussiness train was in Ayer. It has not been painted, and I missed the engine numbers, but they were probally the usual pair not in new paint.

They were going to head west from Ayer. Probally out on the west end by now.
 #336855  by Gary Young

MEC # 517 and MEC # 516 John.

#337387  by NellsChoo

Curious... they always seem to use those high number units... are they ever used on road freights? Also, should we assume they are the best condition units? ALSO... why TWO engines?

#337394  by GRSGuy

two engines so they don't have to turn the power for the reverse move. And I believe those engines are the only two 500 series with three seats in the cab. At least, that's what I've been told; I've never been in them. I would presume a trainmaster or road foreman accompanies the engineer and conductor. It's only a presumption, though.

#337400  by cbrrfan

Oh my....the business train is out of the yard? Must be time to look for the "For Sale" sign, it is that time of year again, no rumors or speculation?

Last years may have been the best, "my cousin who works with a woman who's uncle used to be yard master at Enola, heard from a friend in Massachusetts who knows a postman in N. Billerica who sat in a bar next to the grounds keeper at Ironhorse Park that XYZ Corp. was buying GTI."

They need two engines because, well you need at least one to get back home..... :wink:

#337551  by NellsChoo

The train was parked at Ayer tonight. Two engines on one end, so nothing to with turning...

#337570  by Finch

Someone once said they run two locos just so if one breaks down there aren't any stranded businessy-type folks.

#337643  by octr202

I don't have time to search for pictures, but they're hardly the only road to run overpowered business trains. While not always the rule, I think I've seen just about every major road with a business train send out the famous two SD's and 3 or 4 business cars before...
 #337676  by Gary Young

They run two engines (back to back) so they can run around their OCS and hook onto the other end.I did not know we had people on this list that did not know that.

#337814  by Jonny Bolt

Ya, thats pretty self-explanatory lol. I love trains N rail, but dont know as much as alot of you guys, but I always did notice the 2 business engines were always back to back, and I knew why :-D

Ya know what though, I am surprised they didnt paint those 2 engines in Pan Am paint first.

#337839  by bar358

They use these two units because they have nicer cabs - carpeting, trim, ect. One could wish that all their units looked like these inside.
 #338515  by NellsChoo

Gary Young wrote:They run two engines (back to back) so they can run around their OCS and hook onto the other end.I did not know we had people on this list that did not know that.
Gee, I guess some of us are pretty stupid then, huh?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=606626
 #338647  by Skullitor

NellsChoo wrote:
Gary Young wrote:They run two engines (back to back) so they can run around their OCS and hook onto the other end.I did not know we had people on this list that did not know that.
Gee, I guess some of us are pretty stupid then, huh?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=606626
Nells, DO NOT Diss "The Boss"! :wink:

#338651  by MEC407

I'm the boss of this particular forum, and I'm going to ask that there be no "dissing" of anybody here, regardless of who they are or what "team" they're a member of. Thanks. :-D

Back to the topic at hand: the reason for two locomotives on the train is basically "all of the above" -- the locomotives can run around to the other end of the train for the return trip, and the trailing locomotive becomes the lead locomotive and is facing forward, which provides much better visibility and operating ease for the engineer. Additionally, you get the added benefit of having a spare locomotive on-hand, just in case one of them fails en route.

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy 2007 to all!