Railroad Forums 

• PAR Locomotive Fleet - General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1308688  by doublestack

BostonUrbEx wrote:What's up with MEC 614? It's all burgundy with "MEC 614" stenciled on in black.
The reason it's still red (burgundy) this long and not painted blue yet is because that unit is their most utilized work-horse engine in the fleet for pay-back hours. I've seen 614 in videos at Sand Patch Pa. and as far west as Colorado. They can't afford to have this money maker in the shop getting a new face lift.
 #1308708  by guilfordrailfan

doublestack wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:What's up with MEC 614? It's all burgundy with "MEC 614" stenciled on in black.
The reason it's still red (burgundy) this long and not painted blue yet is because that unit is their most utilized work-horse engine in the fleet for pay-back hours. I've seen 614 in videos at Sand Patch Pa. and as far west as Colorado. They can't afford to have this money maker in the shop getting a new face lift.
MEC 614 may have ventured off-line a few times, but it spends the vast majority of its time working on home rails. The reason it hasn't been painted has nothing to do with any special status on the roster. It simply hasn't been repainted yet. Pan Am has not been doing much painting for awhile. In the past two years, they have repainted a grand total of three locomotives that they own (MEC 518 & 519 in 2013, MEC 515 in 2014).
 #1308830  by guilfordrailfan

guilfordrailfan wrote:
doublestack wrote:
MEC 614 may have ventured off-line a few times, but it spends the vast majority of its time working on home rails. The reason it hasn't been painted has nothing to do with any special status on the roster. It simply hasn't been repainted yet. Pan Am has not been doing much painting for awhile. In the past two years, they have repainted a grand total of three locomotives that they own (MEC 518 & 519 in 2013, MEC 515 in 2014).
Ironic, isn't it, that one day after I said this, MEC 614 headed west on CSX Q427 to Selkirk!
 #1308950  by doublestack

guilfordrailfan wrote:
Ironic, isn't it, that one day after I said this, MEC 614 headed west on CSX Q427 to Selkirk!
We'll never understand the ryme or reasoning on how Pan Am runs it's railroad. I wonder what goes through a foamers mind when he/she is set-up filming trains somewhere in the mid-country at a grade crossing and two CSX heritage I units and 314 comes screaming by, and then asking "what-the -f&%$ was that?"
Here's the video of 614 in Colorado. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3LvBg2J ... 60AE561667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1308979  by MEC407

In other news, MEC 307 is on lease to S&NC RR. This'll be the second winter that they've had to lease a PAR locomotive.
 #1309343  by Slushbucket

doublestack wrote:
We'll never understand the ryme or reasoning on how Pan Am runs it's railroad. I wonder what goes through a foamers mind when he/she is set-up filming trains somewhere in the mid-country at a grade crossing and two CSX heritage I units and 314 comes screaming by, and then asking "what-the -f&%$ was that?"
Can't think of anything about 614 that would cause a "WTF?" reaction other than the reporting marks. Right now it looks like any other rent-a-wreck.
 #1310376  by ShortlinesUSA

The next leaser is on its way. LTEX 95, which is ex Carolina Coastal 95/former Mississippi Export 95, is in Hamlet, NC waybilled for Waterville. This GP40 holds the distinction of being the last unrebuilt Atlantic Coast Line GP40 in existence, for the locomotive fans among us.
 #1310390  by gokeefe

ShortlinesUSA wrote:The next leaser is on its way. LTEX 95, which is ex Carolina Coastal 95/former Mississippi Export 95, is in Hamlet, NC waybilled for Waterville. This GP40 holds the distinction of being the last unrebuilt Atlantic Coast Line GP40 in existence, for the locomotive fans among us.
Wow that's quite a distinction. I didn't even realize the ACL lasted long enough to make it to the GP-40 era. Here is the trace per rrpicture archives.
 #1310449  by MEC407

Early '90s photo by Craig Sturgeon of a classic "Only On Guilford" lashup — a freshly-painted GP9 leading a high-nose SD45:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=221324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And these beauties were exceedingly rare even back then — a U30C and a C424:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=221266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=221265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1311037  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:
KSmitty wrote:How about just an inkind rebuild, or an rebuilt+upgrade to -2 or 3? 500K for a like new unit. Sure its not environmentally any friendlier but it would be just as good "quality of horsepower" wise, cost 1/2 as much, and still sport the always popular 16-645E3.
That's a perfectly valid option too, and one I've advocated for years. It's exactly what many of the smaller regionals have been doing, and even some shortlines. Going the ECO route does give some additional benefits above and beyond emissions, such as improved fuel economy, reduced lube oil usage, better reliability, and a longer maintenance cycle (180 days vs. 90 days). Someone else will have to do the math, but I wonder if the reduced maintenance (=reduced number of employees required to maintain them?) plus the reduced fuel and lube oil usage would cover the difference between an ECO rebuild and a rebuild that keeps the 645. You'd be spreading that difference out over 20 years, so it seems possible that the math could work out favorably.
NS has begun doing that with their old GPs. Photo by Casey Thomason:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=513366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As noted in the caption, funding for these types of rebuilds is available from state and federal sources, making them much more affordable to the railroads.
 #1311046  by MEC407

They really do. As good or better than the locomotive manufacturers.
 #1311066  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:They really do. As good or better than the locomotive manufacturers.
And thats why they've done contract assembly for both major builders!

Is it any wonder they bought up as many used locomotives as they have the last couple years?
 #1313217  by 690

The 511 and 332 were on SAPPI-3 today, both the only remaining engines in their paint schemes (Pan Am Phase I and Guilford Phase I, respectively):

The 332's paint has held up really well, while the 511 is starting to look pretty grubby.