Railroad Forums 

• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1544163  by MEC407

Yes they did.
 #1547786  by MEC407

The answer depends on the terms and details of the sale. All that stuff is negotiated pretty heavily before anything changes hands.

Hypothetical examples:

A) Railroad ABC buys all the lines from Mattawamkeag to Ayer, and buys all the PAR-owned rolling stock, including the business train. Railroad XYZ buys PAR's stake in Pan Am Southern.

B) Railroad ABC buys all the lines from Mattawamkeag to Danville Junction, and buys all of the PAR-owned freight cars but doesn't buy the locomotives or the business train. Railroad XYZ buys all the lines from Danville Junction to Ayer, and buys PAR's stake in Pan Am Southern. Locomotive leasing company 123 buys all the PAR-owned freight locomotives. Tourist railroad 789 buys the business train.

C) Railroad ABC buys everything. Railroad ABC puts the business train on the auction block. Auction bidder 123 buys the FP9s. Auction bidder 456 buys the observation car. Auction bidder 789 buys the other three cars.

...and so on and so forth. You get the idea. Lots of possibilities!
 #1547793  by gokeefe

If it a Class I they're gone. If it's anyone else there is at least a chance they will stay. Option 3 is they are excluded from the sale, retained by the current owner and moved to storage elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1548214  by MEC407

Speaking of speed...

What is the gear ratio and top speed of PAR 1 and PAR 2? Some FP9s were built with the freight-standard 62:15 gear ratio, yielding a top speed of 65 MPH; I think I read somewhere that the FP9s built for CN had a more passenger-oriented gear ratio, but the interwebs are giving me conflicting information.