Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1619361  by F74265A

That would depend on the terms of the agreement that the B&M made with P&W way back when. Who knows what it restricts or allows. As I've noted before, I understand that there is a power line pole encroachment problem somewhere in that stretch too. Whatever the agreements/easements are with the utilities would also be relevant.

When this csx thing first was announced i thought it likely CSX would move to try to restore the 2d track. However, since they went through the huge effort of getting P&W's agreement to the deal in the STB project, I've come to believe that putting in a 2d track is not all that easy--or at least is harder than just working with P&W on the existing track. Moreover, P&W runs at most 2 trains a day over that 3 mile segment. So it is not crowded even if the NS pair comes online, which would amount to 6 daily trains plus perhaps an occasional coal or grain unit train. And G&W is presently not hostile as far as I can tell. So I think CSX uses its capital to make capacity improvements elsewhere for the foreseeable future.
 #1619686  by johnhenry

I see that the AEI car reader and the over-height detector at S. Meadowbrook Rd in Clinton MA are still in place (have been there since Conrail I believe). Are they active? Also wondering why a hot box or dragging equipment detector hasn't been installed for west bound trains before they pass over the reservoir.
 #1619729  by F74265A

Assuming there is clearance (and the utilities do not have encroaching easements even if not built on), is it worth the capex with p&w running at most twice a day!
 #1619758  by FatNoah

Alright, what a time to be alive. Looking through ICC publications in the federal register via govinfo.gov yields the following:
The Interstate Commerce Commission exempts from the requirements of 49 U.S.C. 11343, (a) the purchase by Providence and Worcester Railroad Company (P&W) of a one-mile segment of line in Gardner, MA and a four-mile segment of line in Worcester, MA, from Boston and Maine Corporation (B&M); (b) the acquistition by B&M of trackage rights from P&W over the above-described one- and four- mile segments of line; (c) the acquisition of trackage rights by B&M from P&W over the rail line of P&W running between the above-described one-mile and four-mile segments of line; and (d) the lease by P&W of B&M’s line between Worcester and Lancaster, MA.

DATES: These exemptions will be effective on July 26,1984. Petitions for reconsideration must be filed by July 16, 1984. Petitions to stay must be filed by July 6,1984.
Looks like P&W does own the line, and part of that transaction was to grant B&M trackage rights and ??? P&W leasing the line between Worcester and Lancaster???
 #1619770  by F74265A

In the latter part of the 1980s the Worcester route main between Clinton and Ayer was inactivate. Rather than serve the few customers in Clinton from Ayer ( a couple plastics factory, a rarely serviced warehouse, and a loading dock for boxcars in the parking lot of what is now a hannaford market ), p&w leased the line from b&m/guilford and serviced Clinton. I saw p&w mlw 420s in Clinton. This ended around when conrail moved the rax off of the Fitchburg and to the rebuilt Worcester main in early 1990s bc the tunnel couldn’t accommodate covered multilevel rax. Soon thereafter most b&M west end traffic followed the rax to Worcester route. In any event, the customers in Clinton largely evaporated anyway
 #1619785  by newpylong

Oddly enough the warehouse off the Clinton siding as a few years ago was on the list of Pan Am serviced Transload centers. I don't even remember the switch still being in when I worked there, maybe it was. Never saw a car there anyway. We still went down to Norton's though at that time every so often.
 #1619789  by F74265A

I saw a boxcar once and maybe twice at the warehouse in I think the early 2000s. Not sure of the date- but I have seen a car there. Would love to know if the warehouse switch is still connected after the csx work in Clinton
 #1619790  by jaymac

Hope so -- At the very least, it'd be a good place to clear up track equipment, a function the former Ziff Paper siding served at the former MP X 6.0.
 #1619791  by F74265A

Was the ziff switch finally disconnected? If think yes but am not sure
Clinton siding may be the only place to clear now
 #1619800  by johnhenry

The Zwift siding has been gone for around 10 years or so, ever since a housing development in back of there was put in with a new access road. Track equipment had been parking on the stub of a former industrial siding on the other side of Shrewsbury st, but that switch was removed when the new rail was put in last year. Another lost siding was in the Greendale area where New England Warehouse used to get boxcars in the 1990's.
 #1619807  by jaymac

The Ziff switch was -- and mebbe still is -- just TT E of Shrewsbury Street. The switch that was pulled for the housing development was TT W of Shrewsbury.
 #1619812  by F74265A

The almost certainly outdated google maps still shows the former ziff paper switch and siding just east of the shrewsbury st crossing