• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BobbyT

How far North are they replacing the rail this year, all the way to Ayer? Also, have they done any tie work or just rail replacement? Thx.
  by johnpbarlow

I don’t think RJ Corman has done major tie replacements this fall and I don’t know if CWR has been dropped north of Clinton but per a FaceBook posting, a loaded stone extra was seen on the line around Clinton last Friday 10/14/22.
  by jaymac

Based on XNG noise intervals, 10 MPH still seems MAS in West Boylston.
  by SpiderHill

I posted too quickly about the activity near the Clinton siding. The siding switches have not been replaced yet. The The rail was replaced on the section of the main that parallels the siding. I think this is the last section of rail that needed to be installed from the two rail trains. I also spotted a Railworks hi-rail ten wheel box truck with trailer parked at the Bolton Station crossing on the Ag branch this morning. I would assume that is the same truck that was working as part of the Corman crew on the Worcester main. Perhaps moving on to the next job. There are no signs that any more work east of Clinton will be done this season.

To answer a previous question, no tie replacement work was done by Corman (besides crossings and switches) that I am aware of. Some of the posts in this thread would make you think that all the ties were splinters and toothpicks. That is not the case at all. A few years back (I believe when the MBTA acquired passenger rights on the Worcester main), a contractor did a big tie job on the line. All the tie bundles had MBTA spray painted on them. I don't remember the year, but I do remember it was right when the blue MassDOT ballast cars were acquired. I remember seeing those brand new cars on the Clinton siding and dropping stone as part of that project.
  by newpylong

Yes it's likely they could get it up to 25 without replacing a tie after the new rail is all installed and it's resurfaced.
  by neman2

Another field trip today. I didn't see any men or equipment working so I assume today was a day off.

1) Chace Hill Rd. Sterling overhead bridge, stone has been dropped along the track.
2)South Meadow Rd. Clinton, the crossing has been replaced, stone has been dropped in both directions.
3) Sterling St. Clinton the crossing has been replaced, stone has been dropped both sides, Corman on-track equipment parked on the siding, numerous hi-rail pieces of equipment parked around the area.
4) Center Bridge Rd., Lancaster still has no signs of any new work or material.
  by SpiderHill

A few observations from today:

1. Most of Corman's equipment is gone from the greater Clinton area. Two high rail track excavators, one backhoe, and a trailer were at the Clinton depot.
2. Clinton siding had a ballast regulator, tamper, and high rail ten wheel dump truck stored.
3. The material gons that were on the Clinton siding for much of the summer are gone.
4. Clinton east and west switches have been replaced.
5. I barely caught a very slow moving and then stopped piece of equipment behind the houses just to the east of the Clinton east siding at around 11:30am. All I could read was Plasser & Theurer through the overgrowth in the backyards. From what I could tell it was a self propelled ballast cleaner heading west (or going to start work heading west) but not 100% certain.
  by johnpbarlow

Thanks for that summary of CSX/Corman track work accomplished to date. If I understand correctly, no track work was executed between Clinton and Harvard? I'm curious if M426/M427 speeds have improved between Clinton and New Bond St although perhaps the approach timing of a few grade crossing circuits need to be lengthened first? Any transmissions from HDD detectors such as at W Boylston?

BTW, do you know the status of the siding turnouts north of New Bond St - have they been replaced? Thanks.
  by BobbyT

Since this is mostly a rail job, I wonder if they plan on working through the Fall/Winter as the frozen ground shouldn't be an issue?
  by SpiderHill

johnpbarlow wrote:If I understand correctly, no track work was executed between Clinton and Harvard? I'm curious if M426/M427 speeds have improved between Clinton and New Bond St although perhaps the approach timing of a few grade crossing circuits need to be lengthened first? .
No significant work North of the Clinton East turnout. There is some painting on some of the rails near the Mill St. Lancaster crossing. Tie plates were dropped to just after the Mill St. crossing but were picked up and not installed. I assume they were picked up as far as Clinton East. I don't believe that speeds have been increased yet. Ballast work is still ongoing.
  by johnhenry

Yes, both switches at the Greendale siding (railroad east of New Bond)have been replaced. Siding itself is still old stick rail.
  by JackImari

How far into Worcester has rail been replaced?
  by johnhenry

Rail has been replaced all the way up to the Gardner branch switch with the P&W at around MP3. They were cleaning ballast, heading west from Clinton, at the Wachusett Reservoir causeway this afternoon.
Cleaner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by johnhenry

Two westbound CXS engines pulled the 3 cars of the Geo train onto the Greendale Siding at 18:00 today.
  by johnhenry

For those interested in such things, Thursday's M427 included a long string of empty open-door big G MEC boxcars. heading for storage or scraping? - i don't know. Photo from Worcester Country Club.
IMG_3262.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.