• Pan Am Woodland Spur

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by carchecker

Thanks but the company laptop I have doesn't allow flickr accounts...I took a couple of shots from the overpass to the Calais Industrial Park and there were some loaded log cars plus the NBSR track crane but that was it. Since it was Tuesday am they were probably out working. Is the tie gang using the NBSR equipment? They were in McAdam last week working in the yard and then disappeared when the surfacing equipmemt showed up.
  by RRBUFF

Most of the MOW equipment is NBSR
  by Rbts Stn

you can upload individual pix to tinypic.com and they give you links that will work here.
  by MEC407

You can also upload photos directly to RAILROAD.NET without having to set up any additional accounts on other sites.

When composing a message on the RAILROAD.NET forum, scroll down to the area below the message box and click the tab that says "Upload attachment." From there, click the "Browse" button to locate the photo on your computer; then click "Add the file". Once the file is uploaded, click "Submit", and your message & photo will both be submitted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by carchecker

I noticed MMA loaded ballast hoppers heading for Woodland lately. I haven't been able to get down that way since I went back to work so could someone like RRBUFF or anyone else for that matter give me an update on the work being done on the Woodland LLC line. I have watched lots of traffic head down that way from McAdam. The south freight usually runs with two engines now to handle the tonnage. Thanks.
  by fogg1703

Most likely leased MMA cars loaded with ballast from the Lane Pit just north of Presque Isle. BAR used to source a large amount of ballast from here as well as IR, MMA and now MNR.
  by RRBUFF

The ballast cars are in the Woodland yard. They have been rebuilding the Woodland Yard with some new ties and rail. The 4 track truck crossing is being replaced with new panel track. By the way there are 2 engines in the yard now. One for running down to Calais and one to suffle and spot log cars and woodchip for unloading.
  by gokeefe

RRBUFF wrote:The ballast cars are in the Woodland yard. They have been rebuilding the Woodland Yard with some new ties and rail. The 4 track truck crossing is being replaced with new panel track. By the way there are 2 engines in the yard now. One for running down to Calais and one to suffle and spot log cars and woodchip for unloading.
Is the yard job running seven days a week?
  by RRBUFF

The yard usually runs Mon to Fri.
  by gokeefe

RRBUFF wrote:The yard usually runs Mon to Fri.
I'm assuming only one shift. Or is business so good that they are now running two?
  by RRBUFF

The Woodland Mill runs 24/7 . I have only seen the railroad run during the day.
  by gokeefe

RRBUFF wrote:The Woodland Mill runs 24/7 . I have only seen the railroad run during the day.
Hopefully as business continues to improve for the mill NMR/NBSR will benefit as well.
  by Highball

fogg1703 wrote:Most likely leased MMA cars loaded with ballast from the Lane Pit just north of Presque Isle. BAR used to source a large amount of ballast from here as well as IR, MMA and now MNR.
I recently viewed a video from last week of a NBSR Eastbound freight nearing Saint John N.B., with 9 MMA ballast cars in its consist. There is a ballast loading spur just west of NBSR's yard in Saint John, perhaps that is where the ballast for the Woodland spur is sourced.
  by carchecker

The empty MMA ballast cars are going down to Saint John to be reloaded. Are they still using a loader to unload the chips at the mill in Woodland or have they come up with a better method?
  by carchecker

Heard from a former employee (retired) of the Woodland paper mill that the Chinese owners are eyeing the old OSB mill to put something in there. Has anyone else heard this or is it just that, a rumour? Do the tracks still run up the line from the pulp mill to the OSB mill?