Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Woodland Spur

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1011569  by RRBUFF

There are loaded and unloaded Log cars and Chemical cars and the old MEC snow plow 73
 #1011784  by JB283

The old plow. I got pictures of it sitting in Mattawamkeag in the summer of 2009.
 #1012073  by carchecker

Perhaps RRBUFF can answer this question. I know they were putting in a new siding in to unload chips before Christmas but any idea how they will unload them? I know NBSR built a new unloading facility in Saint John with a crane, etc but is there anything like that in place at the Woodland mill. I guess I have to get down there soon with my camera!
 #1012075  by Cowford

I have to bring up the question of ownership again. I've been told on good authority that the mill did, in fact, complete the branch's purchase and that NBSR is now the contract operator. Confirmation/denial?
 #1012080  by carchecker

Cowford wrote:I have to bring up the question of ownership again. I've been told on good authority that the mill did, in fact, complete the branch's purchase and that NBSR is now the contract operator. Confirmation/denial?
I heard the same some time ago. I know newpylong said different and perhaps my sources are incorrect. I know the guys on the south freight crew out of McAdam as well as many of the MoW guys there. Maybe it's still in the works but I was told it "officially" happened January 1st. I know they were working there for some time and will be going back in the spring to do much more work. They also said because most of them are Canadian they can only advise and are not allowed to run their machinery, someone else does that. Also the guy in charge of the yard in Woodland lives in Vanceboro. Next time I cross paths with him I'll ask him a few questions.
 #1012299  by RRBUFF

I would think that any transfer of ownership or operations of the Woodland branch would have to go through the Surface Transportation Board for approval. I have not seen any filings relating to this action. All I have heard was that the mill was leasing a NBSR engine. The trackwork was given to NBSR to handle.
 #1014001  by RRBUFF

The first train of wood chips arrived in the yard yesterday. Approx 15 cars. You cannot see the unloading proceedure as it is inside the mill yard. It is nice to see chip cars, log cars, box cars and chemical cars ,and a snow plow in the yard. All we need now is a caboose.