Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#960696  by jr145

KSmitty wrote:I just noticed that the 77 has white on black number boards, quite contrary to, umm, every other current PAR locomotive...

Anyway I was just wondering-do we know yet if the 77 is still ST property or if it has been transferred back to B&M?

I highly doubt they went through the hassle of transferring everything just so it can be registered as a B&M engine. Its just for aesthetics, I don't think they're going to go too crazy with it.
 #960698  by MEC407

KSmitty wrote:I just noticed that the 77 has white on black number boards, quite contrary to, umm, every other current PAR locomotive..
Good! It would have looked ridiculous with black-on-white numberboards.
 #960712  by atsf sp

#960741  by b&m 1566

I have a picture of B&M GP7 1566 sitting at Madison Station (Conway Branch) in the mid-50's and it did not have a Minute Man on the nose, so I'm going to go with "no", there should not be a Minute Man on the nose.
I did notice something different with the logo on the side, it doesn't have "Railroad" written at the bottom of the logo. Is this historically accurate for a Geep?
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #960766  by jaymac

Some flipping through "New England Diesels" by Dave Albert and George Melvin seems to reveal the following patterns: The post-FT maroon-and-gold cab units, including the 3800s, and the pre-blue switchers and road-switchers had "BOSTON AND MAINE" along the sides with "AND" being about half the size of the other words. Post-FT maroon-and-gold cabs had Minuteman heralds on the nose, while pre-blue switchers and road-switchers generally had heralds on the cab sides. Exceptions? Yep!
Historical accuracy, as in many public-relations exercises, has been a casualty. Pre-builder-blue road-switchers carried four-digit numbers, the first two indicating approximate horse-power. 15XX for 1500 HP, approximately, allowing for 1600-HP RS-2s and RS-3s, and 17XX for 1750-HP GP-9s, so "77" is newly-created history, as is the paint job.
 #960795  by MEC407

I'm surprised/impressed that it's this detailed and [almost] historically accurate. Particularly the numberboards, which appear to be the original as-built style of having clear glass in front, with interchangeable white-on-black numbers behind the glass. Even Conway Scenic's 573 doesn't have that level of accuracy. I imagine it would have been easier and cheaper to go with basic white-on-black numberboards rather than clear glass and interchangeable numbers, and a lot of people (even some of my fellow rivet-counters!) probably wouldn't have noticed the difference. Kudos to PAR and Waterville Shops for going that extra mile!
 #960799  by MEC407

I've said in the past that I'll always give this company credit when credit is due... and I think it's definitely due here. They did one heck of a nice job. I was born too late to see this paint scheme on an in-service B&M locomotive, but since scientists are apparently too lazy to build a time machine that won't turn me into tapioca pudding, this locomotive is the next best thing.

Thank you, Pan Am! Thank you, Waterville Shops!
 #960810  by guilfordrailfan

MEC407 wrote:I've said in the past that I'll always give this company credit when credit is due... and I think it's definitely due here. They did one heck of a nice job. I was born too late to see this paint scheme on an in-service B&M locomotive, but since scientists are apparently too lazy to build a time machine that won't turn me into tapioca pudding, this locomotive is the next best thing.

Thank you, Pan Am! Thank you, Waterville Shops!
AMEN to that! And this from the railroad that, only a couple short years ago, would have been the absolute LEAST likely to ever paint a heritage locomotive. Times they are a-changin'...
 #960833  by MEC407

Nice shot of 77 by our own Mr. David Hutchinson:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2675325
 #960851  by b&m 1566

It amazes me that they still have all the specs to perform this kind of work. For a company that didn't show pride in its own history not so many years ago, managed to keep everything.