Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#960560  by newpylong

jaymac wrote:To show that I am actually capable of optimism, I'm hoping the miniature-golf twins, PAR1 and PAR2, get a maroon-and-gold makeover. F-units looking the way F-units should! The Minuteman on the nose would also be a nice nod to the Patriot Corridor.

You will never see that. Pan Am is not the Boston & Maine, nor do they intend to be. They want to prove they are a different company now than they were a number of years ago and boost morale, nothing more. The F's and the OCS will stay in PAR paint.
 #960561  by newpylong

BowdoinStation wrote:Talk about going from the "outhouse" to the "penthouse". The 77 looks very regal in it's B & M Maroon and Gold livery. Wasn't is fairly recent that all the GP9's were stored away out of service ? It is great to see Pan Am, "respect the classics" sort of speak. Perhaps a MEC scheme and a blue B & M scheme on a couple of the remaining GP9's that are in good shape and won't be a waste of paint. I'm with the masses on this one.. "Who would have thunk it". It is nice to see Pan Am do this.. Who knows maybe a cleaned up and revived ST 643 may not be a tall order ?

No, the 643 would never be repainted. Some of the 9's will return to Deerfield to work the hump, as they are still usefull. The SD26's were absolutely useless locomotives at the end.
 #960571  by Tim Mullins

Ya Newpy! ....They were useless but they gave a nice smooth ride!...Right?....The 643 is being parted out to Larrys Truck and Electric in exchange for other parts.
 #960575  by MEC407

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:As much as like seeing the gp9's get some love, I think some of the 40's need some love too.
I'd love to see one of the 300s dressed up like this:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1282045

To me, that paint scheme really symbolizes a time when the B&M was optimistic about its own future and working to rebuild itself into a first class railroad. The simplicity of that paint scheme says "We're the Boston & Maine, and we mean business." New power running on a 40 MPH mainline... those were the days.

That said, I'm guessing they'll stick with doing two or three more GP9s in the "classic" paint schemes and leave it at that. Lest anyone think I'm complaining, rest assured that I'm not! I'm really happy to see this company, for the first time in decades, acknowledging their history in such a big and positive way.
 #960588  by daylight4449

Exerpt from the news wire on Railfan and Railroad's website:

"Pan Am Heritage!
August 12th, 2011
The first of a projected four Pan Am Railways heritage units has been released from the Waterville, Maine, shop -- GP9 No. 77, which wears the Boston & Maine maroon and gold livery with the Minuteman herald. The unit was put into service yesterday."

I'm sorry, but four? I'd put money down on any number of schemes that Pan Am can draw from. Any idea which others will become the other three heritage units?
 #960591  by jwhite07

P.S. Dear Pan Am, please feel free to do another unit in maroon & gold, and letter it like this. Sincerely, me :-D
I was just musing that they should paint that newly acquired shop switcher at Waterville like this:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1639547
To show that I am actually capable of optimism, I'm hoping the miniature-golf twins, PAR1 and PAR2, get a maroon-and-gold makeover.
Yeah, especially this maroon and gold:
http://www.customtrains.org/Images/trai ... _CT548.jpg

Okay, okay... I know, I'm getting carried away. ;-P
 #960599  by bmcdr

Went to Freeport today, to see the 77 for myself. Got one photo off just as Guilford Police officers showed up and put "crime scene" tape all over everything including the business cars and the 613. They let us take photos, but the tape really made the scene look trashy.
 #960602  by MEC407

Yikes. I was thinking about driving up there today to get some photos before the area is crawling with people tomorrow... glad I got distracted with other things!

I'll still be going there tomorrow to see the Amtrak exhibit; 'tis a shame about the police tape on the PAR equipment, though. Can't blame them for wanting to deter people from climbing on/in the train, but still...
 #960608  by MEC407

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:ST guilford grey phase 1 ( really what else could you do!)
This is what ST looked like before Guilford:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=172196

Would definitely be interesting to see that adapted to a geep.
 #960611  by Guilford Guy9887

MEC407 wrote:
Guilford Guy9887 wrote:ST guilford grey phase 1 ( really what else could you do!)
This is what ST looked like before Guilford:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=172196

Would definitely be interesting to see that adapted to a geep.

WOW. on a gp9, that would probably be my favorite!
 #960675  by KSmitty

I just noticed that the 77 has white on black number boards, quite contrary to, umm, every other current PAR locomotive...

Anyway I was just wondering-do we know yet if the 77 is still ST property or if it has been transferred back to B&M?