Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am radio frequencies

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1105280  by Dick H

I am not sure where you are located. However, if it is on a signaled line, and the signals are
working properly, there will be little or no radio traffic between the dispatcher and the trains.
Even on a non-signaled line, once the train has paper (train orders), there won't be much
chatter. If you are near where a train sets off and picks up cars, there would be radio
traffic between the conductor and engineer, but they use relatively low power output radios.

There is more radio traffic in District #2 between Portland ME and Chelmsford MA, as the
freights are competing for track with the Downeasters and the MBTA (below Haverhill.) So
the dispatchers are often informing trains about the details of taking sidings for meets, etc.
Even though it is signaled territory, the dispathers often give the freights a heads up about
the plan for meets, along with signal problems, etc.

A heads up about coming changes to radios. The FCC is requiring railroads to "narrow band"
their radios in the not too distant future, along with public safety, etc. A dispatch center in
my area handling 3 fire departments and two ambulance services has gone narrow band. So
far, the only difference I have noticed on my analog scanner is that the volume of their
transmissions is quite a bit lower than previously. I am not sure when PAR will be changing
over. If you want to check out your radio using fire department frequencies, send me a PM
(private e-mail) and we can discuss it and exchange information.
 #1128094  by tappermonk

I'm back! Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday season. I had a question for everyone in this thread. I was picking up radio traffic from the dispatcher on the 31st of December and the dispatcher mentioned that the train should switch over to the new radio. Since then I have yet to hear the dispatcher at all. Did they switch to a new frequency? I have had my scanner in search mode between 160-161 and have yet to hear anything new?

Any thoughts?
 #1128114  by northernline

Not sure if they applied for new frequencies with FCC. But they would have been required to have narrowband all radios (locomotives, MOW equipment, repeaters, etc, etc) by Dec 31 which would most likely mean new radios capable of 12.5 kilohertz spread between channels. Most of the radios that I've seen on their locomotives were ancient and would require replacement to obtain the new standard. That might of been what the dispatcher was talking about. Your scanner may not be able to receive the narrow band signal if they are using the old frequencies. From my experience in public safety the range and quality is greatly effected by narrowbanding the radio equipment.
 #1137852  by JB283

Is there anyplace on the web that i could listen to District 1, or NBSR/EMRY/MNR while im out of the country?
 #1137907  by jaymac

The Uniden BC125AT has been working well for me. It's narrow high-band and has alpha tagging. The only downside -- beside maybe being a little too sensitive -- is that you can't use a cigarette-lighter cord to recharge and operate, only recharge. A couple of extra pairs of AA batteries and a Sanyo wall charger provide more than enough time with a quick change-outs. The antenna I use is a Railcom hole-mounted to my car's roof (done by the car-dealer, not me) and I can easily pick up VTR from Gardner, MA, with occasional intrusions from DH/CP. Like all synthesized receivers, there are some birdy problems, and pagers and public utilities also make their presences known, but can be locked out.
 #1144657  by MBTA13

jaymac,

When you programmed your scanner how did you program your Pan Am frequencies? Conventional, EDCS, MOT, or LT?
I just got a Uniden scanner and am trying to get the Pan Am Frequencies.

Thanks!
 #1144859  by jaymac

I challenged my low threshold of frustration and lack of hand-eye by just hand-punching in a couple of banks -- northern New England and then the rest, with some overlap and redundancy -- so I can toggle depending on location. If you're getting a scanner and have a PC, I strongly recommend also getting the PC input kit, just because PC keys are bigger and input and editing are much easier. I'm on a Mac -- yeah, whoda thot -- jaymac on a Mac, so I can't advise about any peculiarities.
 #1145098  by MBTA13

After a day of trying to properly program this I am going to get the computer programming software.

Thanks for your response!
 #1145157  by Backshophoss

Radio Shack offers a CD and connecting cable that work with most scanners with a computer input
of some type,the CD has an "intro" type program sending you to a net based PAY service(per the sales rep) :(
These 2 websites have databases for major cites:
http://www.cityfreq.com
http://www.radioreference.com