Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am non-rail developments - airline and NorthPoint

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1198806  by BM6569

Didn't realize the yard was that big. Passed by that location quite a bit over the past 15 years and I never new.

Is that right on the river?
 #1198817  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BM6569 wrote:Didn't realize the yard was that big. Passed by that location quite a bit over the past 15 years and I never new.

Is that right on the river?
Used to come pretty close to the river. Check out the Historic Aerials overhead: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials. ... &year=1938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Yard 8 used to fill up the entire Innerbelt area too. Also see the large freight roundhouse off Water St.
 #1205667  by MEC407

I came across this news article today, and although I do not want us to get into a big discussion about it, I am posting the link because I'm sure some of you will find it interesting.

From the Casper Star-Tribune:
Casper Star-Tribune wrote:A Wyoming man may have an ulterior motive in suing a Delaware-based company that searches for Amelia Earhart’s missing plane, according to his post on a private online forum.

If the post is to be believed, Timothy Mellon is aiming to bankrupt The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) and mop up the remains. Mellon denies the sincerity of his post.

Mellon, chairman and majority stockholder of Pan Am Systems and a resident of Riverside, filed a lawsuit against TIGHAR on June 3 in U.S. District Court of Wyoming for what he claims was deceitful solicitation of his money. Mellon said TIGHAR Executive Director Richard Gillespie convinced Mellon to contribute more than $1 million to search for Earhart’s missing plane when in fact, the plane had already been found near an island in the South Pacific two years earlier.
Read more at: http://trib.com/news/local/casper/wyomi ... 18f6e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1209913  by SST

In aviation news it has been announced that All Nippon Airways will purchase the Pan Am Flight Academy and Pan Am Holdings. I did a quick Google search but not sure if this will effect Pan Am Railways operated by Guilfford Rail.

Does anybody know if Guilford would have to give up the name or is Guilford going to be owned my ANA? Or no change at all.

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_relea ... on-airways" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1209914  by MEC407

Based on the press release, it would appear that All Nippon Airways is buying parts of Pan Am that Pan Am Systems (formerly Guilford Transportation) already sold off to another company back in 2006. I would guess that Pan Am Systems, and its subsidiary Pan Am Railways, will not be affected by this transaction.

I believe Pan Am Systems still owns the rights to the Pan Am brand, so it's doubtful that they'd have to give it up. On the contrary, they may be receiving licensing fees/royalties from other companies that are using the brand (such as was the case with the "Pan Am" television series on ABC).
 #1211574  by BandA

MEC407 wrote:Based on the press release, it would appear that All Nippon Airways is buying parts of Pan Am that Pan Am Systems (formerly Guilford Transportation) already sold off to another company back in 2006. I would guess that Pan Am Systems, and its subsidiary Pan Am Railways, will not be affected by this transaction.

I believe Pan Am Systems still owns the rights to the Pan Am brand, so it's doubtful that they'd have to give it up. On the contrary, they may be receiving licensing fees/royalties from other companies that are using the brand (such as was the case with the "Pan Am" television series on ABC).
I *think* the training academy was never part of the Guilford family. Note that their website uses the Pan Am font but not the meatball. A cursory look indicates the academy has a location in Tokyo, hence reason ANA might be interested. Since the training academy was actually part of the original Pan-Am, it is more legitimately Pan-Am than the railroad which owns the trademark and once owned an airline that was the second successor to Pan Am.
 #1247282  by MEC407

Something the Pan Am airline fans might appreciate, from 50 years ago this week...

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/ ... 4289108992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1247671  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:Something the Pan Am airline fans might appreciate, from 50 years ago this week...

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/ ... 4289108992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't pay for product placement that good!

I'd hope they see that and use it in a sales campaign for their "PAN AM Brands" luggage and whatnot.