Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Locomotive Horns

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#759621  by KSmitty

Just a few quick questions-
1) What Type and model were/are the horns on the
U18B's (MEC)
GP38's (MEC)
GP39-2's (B&M or D&H)
SD26's (ST)

2) As a railfan what type of horn do you like the best? Not just horns that PAR uses but any horn in operation on any railroad.
 #759643  by MEC407

The U18Bs were delivered with Nathan M3RT1 horns. Some of them eventually ended up with Nathan K5LA or Nathan P5 horns when the M3s wore out or went "missing."

The GP38s were delivered with Leslie S3L horns. Most of them received Nathan K5LA horns when they were rebuilt in the late '70s or early '80s.

The GP39-2s were delivered with Leslie RS3L horns but received Nathan K5LA horns when they were rebuilt in the mid or late '80s.

Not sure what the SD26s were delivered with (they were originally SD24s), but most of them had Leslie S3Ls or RS3Ls by the time they were purchased by Guilford.

What horn do I like the best? Probably the Leslie RS3L and RS5T, as long as they are in tune and fully functional. They sound terrible if they're out of tune or fouled up with dirt and crud. In second place would be the Nathan K5LA, followed by the Nathan K3L or K3H.
 #759749  by KSmitty

Thanks MEC!

When the 38's, 39-2's and baby boats were rebuilt they all got K5LA horns, was this under the request of Guilford or just by chance?
Also, does PAR/Guilford take the time and money to standardize the horns on their locomotives, maybe during a prime mover overhaul. Or is the fleet of horns as varied as the source of locomotives (MEC/BM/CR/NS/CSX...) ?
 #759774  by MEC407

In regards to the GP38s, the switch from S3L to K5LA was begun while MEC was still an independent company, in the late '70s. The practice did carry over into the first two or three years of the Guilford era, but eventually the practice ended -- due to cost, I'm sure. A brand new K5LA costs a lot more than simply cleaning and rebuilding an S3L. The other factor is that Guilford scrapped a lot of locomotives in those days, which meant that they had dozens of surplus horns available. This is why some of the U18Bs ended up with P5s (taken from scrapped U25Bs).

Even today, horns get swapped out quite frequently, but the company does not make any effort to standardize on one type of horn, or even one family of horns. As long as it makes noise, that's all they're concerned with.

A few examples of recent horn swap-outs:

One of the old GP9s is now sporting a K3L, taken from one of the GP40-2Ws that was in the deadline.

One of the recently-painted GP40s had its original S3L replaced with a low profile P5, which probably came from one of the SD45s.

621 is currently sporting an RS5T. Not sure where that came from, but I'm fairly certain it's not an original Santa Fe horn.

252 had a nice K5LA a few years ago, but it is now sporting an old Leslie S2, which may have come from one of the old SW1 or SW9 switchers.

A couple of the GP40s have very nice RS5Ts. Again, not sure where they came from -- these units had S3Ls when Guilford first acquired them. It's possible that they actually ordered a few RS5Ts direct from Leslie.
 #759778  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote: As long as it makes noise, that's all they're concerned with.
Sounds about right!

Thanks again!
 #759790  by MEC407

Always glad to help! :-)
 #760219  by calaisbranch

My recommendation for WORST horn on PAR/PAS has been the 353. So sick.
If it wasn't for it's antiquity, GP9 #45 is right behind it. Makes me cringe every time, but it IS a GP9!

A couple of the coolest ones I've heard are the 216 and the 373! Identical, and last I knew, the 216 had some sort of 5-chime.

For originality, it has to be the 313 and the now-sidelined 207. Don't know if they are just screwed up or what, but definitely different from anything else on the system.

I remember the 5-chimer on 252. I have photos from it out in D4 with that one. Last time I saw it at NMJ, it had some abbreviated piece that looked busted. I didn't get to hear it, though.

GP9s 12 and 15 have pretty unique sounding tones, too.
 #760225  by KSmitty

Interesting!
I will have to be on the lookout for some of those, if they still have the good sounding horns.
Thanks for the pointers. I personally like the well tuned leslie 5 chime, any one no particular model.

Just a quick btw-#12 and 15 are GP-7's not 9's.
 #760229  by MEC407

Here is a good example of a Leslie RS5T:

http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=169

PAR has a couple that sound just like that.
 #760378  by MEC407

KSmitty wrote: or a K3LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhzfoDU ... re=related
Only two of the three trumpets on that K3LA are working. :(

A fully functional K3LA or K3HA (they play the same chord) should sound like this:

http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=2749
 #760389  by KSmitty

Ah yes, I can hear the difference!
The fully functioning horn has a much softer "aftersound." (If that makes any sense?) It sounds much better healthy, for me its a tough call between a Nathan 3 chime or a leslie 5 chime. They both sound nice, like a horn should!
 #760420  by trainiac

I know the PAR has K3H's from the 500-series, but do they have any Canadian-tuned K5L's? I would be surprised if they did, but they can be a stunningly good horn and are my undisputed favourite. The SLR has had a couple over the years--not sure where they came from, since they are pretty rare.

Just a couple of days ago, I came across one of the best K5L's I've heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRRVrzplsw
 #760425  by MEC407

To my knowledge, PAR does not have any K5Ls. I've never heard or seen one on any of their units.

Minor nit-pick but the horns on the 500s are K3Ls. PAR doesn't have any K3Hs. The L stands for low profile manifold. The K3H has an elevated manifold. They both play the same chord. (I know you already know that, Michael; I'm just stating it for the benefit of everyone else.)

That video is a very good example of a K5L! That chord is truly the trademark sound of BC Rail.