Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am: How Close to Class I? (Revenues)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1328555  by gokeefe

This is going to sound crazy, like the title of the thread but I am wondering just how close Pan Am gets to being a Class I railroad in terms of revenues. The current revenue threshold requirement is $433.2 million. As of 2011 (see the wiki) Pan Am was reported to have 750 employees and $40 million in payroll expenses. If we assume that their payroll is at least 50% of costs then that would indicate gross annual revenues of around $80 million. However if it is as little as 33% of costs then Pan Am in 2011 was bringing in gross revenues close to $150 million.

Either way the fact that Pan Am is even potentially on the same order of magnitude as a small Class I is something of a revelation to me. Given increases in traffic and business since 2011 I have to wonder whether or not gross revenues are in excess of $200 million at present. The company seems to be much closer to Class I status than any of us might initially imagine.
 #1328562  by gokeefe

Interesting. Thanks for bringing that number to light. As far as I know that's the first time in these forums we have ever seen an estimated gross revenue figure. I can't recall ever reading one either here or in the media.
 #1328616  by gokeefe

ebtmikado wrote:Would these figures include Pan Am Southern, which is a different entity?
Lee
That question occurred to me as well. Given that it's 50% owned by PAR and operated by PAR I would imagine the answer is yes.