Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Coal Trains

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1044182  by jaymac

Dunno if there'll be any more pre-July LCTs for stockpiling, but there was an ECT on 05-09-2012. NSs 9215, 9540, and 2761 got 84 west of the Ayer platform on 1 at 0941 and clear of the 40.1 talker at 0948. There were no leasers -- all NS or CR and all 286K.

joshg1-
PSNH has a stockpile that can be tapped for May and June, and according to the story, July and August will be generating months. Even if there are no LCTs until just before the planned July restart, there can still be generation for heat-related demand.
 #1044303  by boatsmate

Teh power plant generaly has at least a weeks if not more supply on hand (usually a months) in case of intruption of service. I know the coal plants in Salem and Seekonk have at least that on hand. they just keep rotating the piles.
 #1059902  by jaymac

The temporary Bow shutdown may be over: On 07-03-2012 at 1203, D-3 was on the radio with PWBO, saying it would be holding at Clinton for POSE. At 1344, D-3 acknowledged that PWBO had ID'd POSE's marker. Given that Clinton is less than 1/2 mile, it couldn't have been a monstah, but it seems there may be LCTs and ECTs in the short-term future. No additional details cuz I was in Gardner at the time.
 #1060688  by CamJay

P&W power headed back South late yesterday (Thur) morning with just 3 empties, quite possibly the shortest BOPW ever.

I assume that a combination of 1 or 2 NA locals will handle the rest once they are unloaded?
 #1101146  by jaymac

On 11-02-2012 at about 0830, D-3 was on the air with an LCT, telling it -- among other things -- to take switches at CPF-384 off power and then take a 241 to move east.
On 11-02-2012, also, but at about 1300, a PWBO was sitting at St. Gobain, waiting to get east of Shea. For those who just can't get enough photos of 582, she was the trailer, but should be leading BOPW on the flip unless strangeness should occur at North Chelmsford. Unless lime is now black, PWBO was coal.
 #1157120  by Dick H

NS "Wabash" unit 1070 leading loaded coal train through Nashua around 6:00PM. 3/7.
Reported on the PAR Yahoo Group, that approximately 10 loaded coal cars on the
ground in the area of Bridge St. in Nashua. Sure been a bad hair day for PAR today.
 #1178161  by b&m 1566

At last check about 1 hour ago the Bow coal train was sitting near East Spit Brook Road in Nashua, NH (presume its waiting for a crew); does anyone happen to know when the crew typically shows up and gets the train going? The reason I’m asking is because my wife (who I've now known for 8+ years) as never see the train in motion and refers to it as the phantom train. Since it's a Friday night, she wants to stay up and catch it on the move but I'm hoping to narrow down the time, I don’t want to be sitting in the car for hours on end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 #1178890  by jr145

It's random. The crew could be coming from anywhere, Ayer, Nashua, Lawrence, etc...
 #1179081  by b&m 1566

Go figure, it's the one time I didn't try to see if the train would be moving soon. I'm kicking myself for it now!