Railroad Forums 

• Palmer, MA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#59631  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

you should probably see a lot of traffic. The trains are going to be operating on a weekday schedule, so you should see some action, but i am not sure, since i have never been to palmer

#59740  by CSX Conductor

As for passenger trains. look at public timetable for Springfield, and if the train is on time, it will be through Palmer 5-10 minutes after the scheduled time for eastbound, and about 5-10 minutes before for westbounds (except for the Vermonter which changes ends at Palmer).

#60230  by NellsChoo

Palmer is a great place to railfan, but like most spots, things depend on luck some days. Mass Central does not run on weekends, which stinks, but chances are you will see a few CSX freights and NECR working. Amtrak is a given. It can be fun to watch them switching tracks.

Only bad thing is since the station is being turned into a resturant, a fence is being put in along the tracks. This really ruins photography. I wonder why no one ever just stands on the other side of the tracks? May have to try that next time...

Last edited by NellsChoo on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

#60237  by CSX Conductor

Jonelle, noone probably goes to the other side of th tracks because that would be trespassing. :(

Secondly, I hope the fence doesn't make it difficult for me to get something to eat while waiting at CP-83 heading west. :P

#85195  by CSX Conductor

Leave your place by about 600 or so, which should put you there by about 800. Between 800 and 300PM you should see:

Eastbound:

L116
Q168
Q174
Q436
Q264

Westbound:
Q283
Q437
P449 (Amtrak Lake Shore)

Local B740 from Springfield should be down there midto late morning to work Palmer yard

Mid afternoon you should see both Vermonters

Plus you might see some other freights, which runon unpredictable schedules. :wink:

#85456  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what are the frequencies up there? still 160.8000 for mainline traffic?

what about NECR, do they work on the 160.8000?

#85629  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, the mainline for the B & A is still 160.8000. But NECR's may be different.

Amtrak mainline, however, is 160.92 until MM 72.9 (Mill River), and I don't know the Frequency for CP216 till NYP.