Railroad Forums 

• Palmer, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#28791  by NS59

I will be in the Palmer, MA area around July 3rd, but will only,have an hour or do to spend. I would like to get some photos the New England Central while I'm there. Is there any power around the interchange and is there a ballpark time for the interchange? Ant help would be great!

Thanks,

Dave

#29674  by CSX Conductor

The NECR is easy to access from I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) via downtown Palmer. Take exit 8 from I90.....after exiting toll plaza, turn right and follow this road a few miles to the center of town. When you get to center of town, the street ends at a 3way intersection(gas station on right). turn left at this light and after passing a row of small businesses on you right (Palmer diner is good food and cheap....grabbed breakfast there many times while waiting at CP83 heading west :wink: ) the road rises abit and curves toyour right, over CSXT's Boston to Albany Main-line, as soon as you go over the bridge, take a very sharp right and this dirt road takes you to the old Palmer station and you can park there as other railfans do. Often NECR power can be seen from here without going onto rr property. Beyond the bridge, if you kept going east on that road (rte 20 or 67) there is a side street that leads to the NECR yard with a crossing....its the 2nd or 3rd on right.

Good luck, let us know how you make out :)
Also, Try these sites....you have to join, but they are free....and very helpful.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/C ... =162302944

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/N ... =162302944

#29703  by NS59

Thanks for your help. It will make things much easier and quicker as we are heading for a wedding in Falmouth the next day and I will have to convince the wife and in-laws to spend some time there. I'll let ya know how we make out.

Thanks,

Dave