Railroad Forums 

• Palmer Diamond

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#174178  by BrianS

As of today they are replacing the Palmer Diamond. We ran some power over it at 0830. That was the last, all day today and who knows when into the night they will replace it

Brian/
Conductor NECR

#174236  by CSX Conductor

It's about time!!! Unfortunately the speed restriction will remain on it for a few days or so, but maybe after a week or so the restriction will be lifted and we will be back to 40mph over the diamond.
 #174266  by henry6

I remember back in the late '60s standing on the eastbound platform when an E and two cars came at me across that diamond at at least 60!

#174622  by CSX Engineer 98

Man,
I cant believe it...CSX usually waits until there is a Derailment to fix anything. Then its usually just a band aid fix. Must not be enough rail left to weld too. Well cant wait till I get back there and Run through at track speed. All the speed restrictions out there makes for a long trip. They should have replaced it when TV-13 wrecked there in 98', I saw the wreck happen was working the Night switcher at NECR. It was about 02:15 am or so when the Engines and Stacks were Dancin. One of the widest things Ive ever Seen, We had just pull a cut out of the Yard and had shoved it across the Dymond.

Later

#174961  by BrianS

That diamond was SO loud that you could hear a train banging across it all the way from the south end of NECR yard in Palmer. Now, you cant even hear it from 300 feet away. nice

Brian/ NECR conductor

#175500  by NellsChoo

Quiet? Oh, nuts! :wink:

So this means we photographers will now have even less chance to set up our cameras when a train comes out from behind the station. I sure wish they'd blow the horn! Oh well... Will have to take a peek at the new steel when we visit next.

JD