Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#965338  by Martin Baumann

On another forum it is reported that the last PA-4 cars were due to be retired by the end of this week. Is this correct and have they in fact been retired?
 #965619  by Fan Railer

Martin Baumann wrote:On another forum it is reported that the last PA-4 cars were due to be retired by the end of this week. Is this correct and have they in fact been retired?
Not sure, but if an engineer on the railroad states it, 98% says its true unless something has happened since then.
 #967206  by Fan Railer

As of today (9/1/11), both remaining PA-4 sets are still in service. PA-5 Cars 5813 and 5206 have entered service as well.
 #970348  by Head-end View

Anyone know if the 2 old trains are still running? And did anyone see them today? I may try for one last ride tomorrow - Tue.
 #970756  by Head-end View

It looks like the fat lady may have sung on PATH last week. I did a round trip today from WTC to NWK and back and saw no PA-4 trains at all. And I saw one brand new consist in passenger service with very recent car numbers including: 5816, 5817, 5819. Also: 5216, 5219. Adding up these numbers (219 cab cars + 119 cab-less cars = 338 total) it appears that the order of 340 cars is almost complete. This is not a good week for PATH railfans..............

I've written to PATH on their website asking if all the old trains have been retired, explaining that I'm hoping to catch one last ride, to enjoy the view out the front.
 #970822  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:It looks like the fat lady may have sung on PATH last week. I did a round trip today from WTC to NWK and back and saw no PA-4 trains at all. And I saw one brand new consist in passenger service with very recent car numbers including: 5816, 5817, 5819. Also: 5216, 5219. Adding up these numbers (219 cab cars + 119 cab-less cars = 338 total) it appears that the order of 340 cars is almost complete. This is not a good week for PATH railfans..............

I've written to PATH on their website asking if all the old trains have been retired, explaining that I'm hoping to catch one last ride, to enjoy the view out the front.
Don't forget the odd 10 car option they exercised a while bak, so its 350 now.
 #973594  by Head-end View

Would you believe the Port Authority has not answered my e-mail inquiry made 9 days ago about the retirement of the last old trains, though I did get an an e-mail saying that they'd received it, and will answer most inquiries within 2 business days.
 #973803  by PONYA

The PA-4 are "semi retired". X amount of cars are available in Harrison Yard to make up 2 -7 car or 2-8 car trains as needed for passenger service. PA-4 are also being used on work trains. 340 PA-5 cars have been delivered {but all are not in service yet}.

one or two train sets a day ususually in Newark/WTC are PA-4 equipment.
 #973839  by R36 Combine Coach

PONYA wrote:PA-4 are also being used on work trains.
Some PA4s are being converted to work motors and will remain in service.
 #973949  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Thanks PONYA; so how many of the 340 delivered cars are actually in passenger service?
That piece of information is pretty much moot now considering that the only remaining stock on the system is the PA5. Regardless of how many have been accepted into revenue service, it will be the only train you ride from now on unless there is a warranty issue, or you live long enough to see them retired....
 #974045  by oknazevad

That seems to contradict PONYA's comment that one or two trains a day are PA-4s. "Semi-retirement" he calls it. AFAIK, he works there, so there's likely a chance of seeing PA-4s still.