Railroad Forums 

• P&W Middletown-Hartford ops

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#819998  by rjones2

I actually have a question:

I am inquiring as to the current operations of the rehabilitated line (a few years ago) from Middletown to Hartford. Is it in use at all? I knew that there were trains running up through there and I believe those operations ceased?

Are there still operations on the other side of the Middletown swing bridge? I read somewhere that Smurfit Stone closed and the only other customer was the construction debris facility.
 #820290  by cp8558

Smurfit is indeed closed, the debris cars are moving on the CSOR. A new 7D lumber distribution facility is receiving rail service. The 7D facility is located in Rocky Hill so I suspect the line is out of service north of that location. Connecticut missed out on all the Obama money, so I doubt any improvements on the line will be made anytime in the future.

rjones2 wrote:I actually have a question:

I am inquiring as to the current operations of the rehabilitated line (a few years ago) from Middletown to Hartford. Is it in use at all? I knew that there were trains running up through there and I believe those operations ceased?

Are there still operations on the other side of the Middletown swing bridge? I read somewhere that Smurfit Stone closed and the only other customer was the construction debris facility.
 #820321  by CVRA7

Just to add to the earlier reply concerning P&W service on the Valley line, the new customer - 7D - is located near a location historically called Dividend, within the town of Rocky Hill but south of the Rocky Hill station area near the ferry. There is a runaround track available at Dividend if needed - if it's in service that is!
Think I heard they weed sprayed all the way to Hartford from Middletown but no regular operation up there. Most of the track north of Dividend is 80 lb per yard rail, south is around 110 lb per yard, with better ties - one reason that operations don't go north of 7D anymore.
Also, the last I looked there were a number of empty trash cars stored on the main and ruinaround track on the Valley south of Colt's in Hartford.
 #820357  by rjones2

Thank you for the update!

I went to high school in Middletown, so I have always had an interest in the operations of that area, as well as the continual use of the line. It seemed as if there was the physical infrastructure (buildings, distribution facilities, etc) along the line, but that maintenance, upkeep of the track, etc. was needed.

In terms of that line, would it ever make sense for CSOR to utilize it to get to New Haven?
 #820575  by rb

Good news about 7D. I assume that this is the site of the facility: http://tinyurl.com/3xqycy9.

Bonus question: I never knew that tank farm next door existed. Does that receive active barge shipments?

I passed through the 91/15 interchange last week and there were MRRX cars all over the place.
 #820631  by OrmsTower

In terms of that line, would it ever make sense for CSOR to utilize it to get to New Haven?
In the 1990’s, when this trackage was operated by the Connecticut Central Railroad (CCCL), the President and I (General Manager) had discussions with Railtex and the Connecticut Southern (CSOR) folks concerning CSOR running down the Valley to Middletown thence over the Air Line to New Haven. If CSOR was interested in acquiring overhead trackage rights over CCCL we could reasonably approach the state to request funds for rehabilitation of the valley trackage from Hartford to Middletown. One problem with this route was the need to make a reverse movement at Middeltown due to location of the connection between the Valley and the Air Line.

Railtex indicated they had no interest in pursuing this route as an alternative to the high trackage fees they were paying to Amtrak to use the New Haven – Springfield Line. The CCCL began opening the line from Middletown to Hartford on a limited budget about a year prior to the purchase by P&W. The rest is history.
 #820850  by RonM

Was 7D previously located in Suffield (at the former Wickes Lumber site) and serviced by CSOR on the Suffiled Industrial Branch?
 #821636  by Plate C

CVRA7 wrote:Just to add to the earlier reply concerning P&W service on the Valley line, the new customer - 7D - is located near a location historically called Dividend, within the town of Rocky Hill but south of the Rocky Hill station area near the ferry. There is a runaround track available at Dividend if needed - if it's in service that is! Think I heard they weed sprayed all the way to Hartford from Middletown but no regular operation up there. Most of the track north of Dividend is 80 lb per yard rail, south is around 110 lb per yard, with better ties - one reason that operations don't go north of 7D anymore.
Any idea when you can catch P&W up that way?
 #823125  by Mr rt

In case anyone doesn't know, CCCL was a Valley RxR venture.
Always seemed like a logical extension of their business ... their hack went to P&W

I believe at that time the power plant south of Middletown was taking oil by train car,
plus there was the potential for business with P&WA near there.
 #824011  by Jedijk88

The tank farm you're referring to is the Citgo terminal at Rocky Hill. I believe they currently receive their gasoline via pipeline from New Haven.