Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#870888  by boatsmate

It i smy understanding that the P&W is leasing these engines for the short time because they have several of there own engine down, at least one is in PA having major engine overhaul, and another maybe headed that way also. they are down 2 or 3 other engines waiting for parts...... the B-40 - 8's are surposed to be for the bow/MT Tom coal trains... they should be able to hold down the train with 1 or 2 "B " units. they do not have cab signals so they are restricted as to where they can go.
 #878062  by daylight4449

well, i saw somthing highly, unusual, at the P&W shops a few days ago. it appears that the cab of our warbonnet friend has been repainted in P&W colors. take note, just the cab. can anyone confirm this?
 #878433  by PAR381

One of the BNSF B40-8W's 561 nee ATSF 561 has been renumbered to P&W 4005 but has not been painted and is in service with the other 2 mainly on the Bow NH coal trains and anywhere on the P&W system where cab signals are not required.

Rich B
 #878448  by daylight4449

PAR381 wrote:One of the BNSF B40-8W's 561 nee ATSF 561 has been renumbered to P&W 4005 but has not been painted and is in service with the other 2 mainly on the Bow NH coal trains and anywhere on the P&W system where cab signals are not required.

Rich B
last i saw her, the cab definitely wasn't red. looked like new paint if you ask me, but i could be mistaken
 #878936  by v8interceptor

daylight4449 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:6 axle power has to many restrictions and does to much damage to track, todays six axle power is not the light service of earlier SD8 and SD9's anymore.
true. very true indeed. but what about earlier 6 axles, like SD18s? theres the SDL39s that were built for the milwaukee, and some of the modern day heavy genset switchers could potentially fill the role. again, i'm going off topic, and i'll have my hide for this, so sorry for starting a random tangent
The ex-C,M,St. P & P SDL39s wound up on Wisconsin Central and were retired when CN bought the RR. Thaey were then rebuilt (as BB units, IIRC) and exported to a mining RR in south america. P & W has, in recent years, upgraded it's fleet to newer built units so it really wouldn't follow make sense to buy 50 year old power (although maybe something like the BNSF SD9's rebuilt with 645 power assemblies and -3 electronics would be considered)..
 #879020  by PAR381

If the 4005 had been painted it would be in the P&W's orange brown and whilte colors. Currently it is in a very faded ATSF "Warbonnet" red and silver

The other two BNSF's units 582 and 562 are in BNSF paint which is orange and green

Rich B
 #879111  by daylight4449

PAR381 wrote:If the 4005 had been painted it would be in the P&W's orange brown and whilte colors. Currently it is in a very faded ATSF "Warbonnet" red and silver

The other two BNSF's units 582 and 562 are in BNSF paint which is orange and green

Rich B
again, the nose was the only thing painted, fom the looks of it. and can anyone confirm this? and i thought that the providence and worcester colors were brown and red.
 #879127  by DutchRailnut

first it was cab, now its nose ?? what is it ???
 #879172  by mecu18b

Just saw a photo on NERail of the 4005 and it doesnt look like a drop of paint has been added as of 12-07-2010. You sure it was the Santa Fa unit you saw?
 #879240  by PAR381

Here is a photo I took yesterday of the 4005 for the last time it has not been painted. The other two units that are in BNSF orange and green have a large P&W on the sides where the BNSF logo was. See photos in the attached links

http://pw2009.zenfolio.com/p679633388/h ... #h32a0fdb6

Taken yesterday December 8 2010....

http://pw2009.zenfolio.com/p260586850/h ... #h284f5e56

Rich B
 #879253  by daylight4449

DutchRailnut wrote:first it was cab, now its nose ?? what is it ???
cab, nose (same meaning), the front of the engine. sorry if i wasn't clear enough
 #879337  by 161pw165

Thanks PAR381 for finally clearing that up. Also, FWIW the P&W paint scheme is a deep orange and brown.