Railroad Forums 

• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#868481  by Hoghead

In order to run on the NEC there is also other things that become issues not only to lead but trail also such as plows, horn placement, radio attennas and other clearence problems. As most know but along with cab signals but leaders need to be acces equiped ! hope that helps
 #870067  by daylight4449

might as well change this to P&W engine house sightings. saw a pair of what appeared to be ex-union pacific GP40s at the enginehouse. the one i had a visible view of the cab had an unusual nose setup, as it was slanted up and took up about half the front part of the windshield. looked like it said HCLX under the cab windows, although now numbers were vidible on either unit. the numberboards were blank as well.
 #870077  by B&M 1227

Yes P&W is leasing 4 GMTX GP40s now that they've sold off the 3000s.
Last edited by B&M 1227 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #870088  by daylight4449

B&M 1227 wrote:Yes P&W is leasing 4 GATX GP40s now that they've sold off the 3000s.
well, what's the story with the funky nose one? the nose is slanted up and takes up half the windshield
 #870293  by TheJollyRailfan

B&M 1227 wrote:Yes P&W is leasing 4 GMTX GP40s now that they've sold off the 3000s.
So they sold off 3 GP40s only to lease 4 more? I understand 1 of the 3 wasn't in working order, leaving 2 good units, but it just doesnt make sense. Not to mention they also just received the 3 new B40-8s to take their place.
 #870447  by Reader#108

I don't know too much about diesel locomotives, but I think the were having fuel issues with the 3000 series, plus one was busted. You sell off the 3, acquire 3 dash 8's and then lease 4 newer GP40's. The key is lease...when you are done, they go away. You aren't stuck with them.
 #870459  by MEC407

Like "161pw165" said, these are GP38-2s, not GP40s. 2000 HP vs. 3000 HP; Roots blower vs. turbocharger. They make look similar, but they're quite different and are designed for a different type of railroading.

I heard somewhere that P&W is doing contract repair work for GATX Locomotive Group. I know they did a paint job on a GATX locomotive; maybe that's why these units are there.
 #870473  by TheJollyRailfan

Well now that the truth is out that they're GP38s the story makes little more sense since it seems the PW wants to retain their 38 fleet.

I agree with MEC407 and say it could be contract work for GATX. I remember back a while ago the PW did work on the 2 GP40 leasers that headed up to the VRS. As if by some strange coincidence they just received LLPX 2334 a GP38 in UP colors which fits the description of these new units.

If I remember right the reason they sold the GP40s was because they weren't very fuel efficient. But it could have been because they didnt have -2 technology in 'em.
 #870575  by daylight4449

alright, glad we're getting good information
still need to change the title of the thread though... how the heck do i do that? edit the first message's subject
 #870633  by PAR381

The purchase of the 3 B40-8W's and selling off of the GP40's is a 3 for 3 swap. The B40-8W being a lot newer and in better condition. It is my understanding that the 4 GMTX GP38-2's have been leased because of the amount of Bow Coal that will and has already been running. Through the agreement the P&W has with Pan Am the P&W supply's the power so everytime a Bow train runs the P&W gives Pan Am 5 units which are off the property from the P&W for 4 days to who knows 7 days 9 days once. Everytime a Mt Tom runs the P&W gives Pan Am 2 units which can be off the P&W property for at least 2 days if not more. So giving Pan Am 7 units really puts the P&W short and with all the ethanol they are moving so they needed the 4 extra units

Rich B
 #870735  by daylight4449

PAR381 wrote:The purchase of the 3 B40-8W's and selling off of the GP40's is a 3 for 3 swap. The B40-8W being a lot newer and in better condition. It is my understanding that the 4 GMTX GP38-2's have been leased because of the amount of Bow Coal that will and has already been running. Through the agreement the P&W has with Pan Am the P&W supply's the power so everytime a Bow train runs the P&W gives Pan Am 5 units which are off the property from the P&W for 4 days to who knows 7 days 9 days once. Everytime a Mt Tom runs the P&W gives Pan Am 2 units which can be off the P&W property for at least 2 days if not more. So giving Pan Am 7 units really puts the P&W short and with all the ethanol they are moving so they needed the 4 extra units

Rich B
just a thought, and i'll be having my own hide for going off topic, but why dosn't the P&W invest in 6 axle power? more puling power per locomotive would mean less locomotives being used by pan am for the coal trains, meaning more avalibility for the ethanol trains
 #870738  by DutchRailnut

6 axle power has to many restrictions and does to much damage to track, todays six axle power is not the light service of earlier SD8 and SD9's anymore.
 #870756  by 161pw165

P&W benefits from their ability to use road power for branch line service, which they couldn't do w/ 6-axle power. Example, the power that brings the road freight from Worcester to Providence at night does local service in R.I. during the day and returns to Worcester the following night (and vice-versa). As such, it's not unheard of to see B39-8's switching on the East Providence and East Junction branches.

Back on topic, the GMTX GP-38-2's are 2177, 2183, 2188, & 2192.
 #870838  by daylight4449

DutchRailnut wrote:6 axle power has to many restrictions and does to much damage to track, todays six axle power is not the light service of earlier SD8 and SD9's anymore.
true. very true indeed. but what about earlier 6 axles, like SD18s? theres the SDL39s that were built for the milwaukee, and some of the modern day heavy genset switchers could potentially fill the role. again, i'm going off topic, and i'll have my hide for this, so sorry for starting a random tangent