Railroad Forums 

• P&W in Rocky Hill CT.

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#112522  by gawlikfj

There was something on WFSB TV on The P&W freight in Rocky Hill CT. and it showed a P&W engine with a string of hoppers and it was said the ties were rotted and a rail was leaning over .
Can't find out anything else. Did anyone else see it on the 6:00 news?
It was said a work crew was being dispatched to fix the track.

#112545  by shadyjay

Yeah I saw that too. Good ole' Mr. Kain broke in at 5:45 with "breaking news" of a train derailment in Rocky Hill. Of course it wasn't a derailment. From what I have read thus far, the NB train's south end locomotive derailed and then rerailed itself, but in the process damaged the rail. When the train headed back south from Hartford, it stopped when it noticed there was a damaged section of rail. Crews will be called in tomorrow and the train held at that point in the interim.

Always interesting to note the "locals" they interview. One guy said that he always knew a derailment would happen and is opposed to the railroad. Well geez, you buy a house near a railroad track (abandoned or not), you have to expect things like this. Luckily this wasn't a true derailment and that there was no accident. But it also goes to show that just because tracks are abandoned one day doesn't mean trains will never run "in my backyard" again.

-JH[/img]
 #112564  by gawlikfj

One guy in the Ch.3 story said something about the ties being rotted.
Are these the orignal ties from years back or were they changed before freight service started up again ?
 #112650  by bobbarbn

What Shadyjay says is true. CT-1X was heading north when, unknown to the crew, the trailing unit jumped the frog at the south end of an abandoned runaround track. It then proceeded about 300 feet north on the ground before hitting the frog on the north end of the old runaround track, where it re-ralied itself. The train continued on to do its duty in Hartford.

Upon returning south, the found the damaged rail and could not proceed farther. A track crew was not available at the time, so the train was tied down for the night and will await a track crew sometime today.

There are many old ties in this area, but when the line was rehabed, they did replace (approximately) every 4th tie with relay ties (which I believe were taken from the shorline or mets, when they upgraded to concrete ties). That is probably why the "individual" who lives near the tracks didn't see "NEW" ties.

See my pictures posted on New England Rail Photo Archive starting with:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A5

There are about 5 or six pictures there.