Railroad Forums 

• P & W Coal Contract

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

#330474  by Engineer999

Did the power plant in NY that P &W was hauling coal with the zig-zag delivery route for Providence to Binghamton decide if they wanted to continue that delivery? I have seen no other postings about this unit train since it stopped. The question was asked on the P & W Yahoo group, but no one answered. I thought that the route selected was a great example of how to use under utilized rail lines in an efficient way.

Thanks

#330477  by bshrdr

I've heard that the power plant used this move to force NS to lower their prices. Sorry, but we probably won't see this train again....

-Tom

#330700  by AM@BRT

Au contraire! We see loaded coal-hoppers headed north almost daily, including four today.

Alan Marsh

#330763  by superwarp1

Isn't that coal from China?

#330812  by cougar3676

Have things really got that bad where we have to import coal from China?

#330951  by boatsmate

Alan those are for the Bow power plant. P&W tacks them to gardner for inter change with Guildford.

#330959  by pablo

Cougar, as with most things, it's not quite so simple to say that things are that bad.

There have been a variety of articles in the recent past detailing how the railroads taking care of power river coal have been unable to deliver the amount that the contracts dictate, and some eastern coal isn't suitable due to its content. Or so I've read.

It may sound bad, but it's likely not as bad as you think right off the bat.

Dave Becker

#331394  by rb

A lot of low-sulfur coal burned in America comes from Venezuela and Indonesia, too. Just like the salt in your local salt spreader, which may have come from Egypt or Mexico.

#331554  by superwarp1

I remember reading about the China Coal in the news paper a couple of years ago. Wondering if it's still true.

#331745  by paulrail

I don't know for sure, but I heard the P&W's contract for the 7 trip experiment moving coal to New York was not successful. The coal did not burn as hoped it would and thus, no more trains are echeduled.

So, I guess that rules out any more test coal trains to New York, unless another source is found.

Again, I just heard this second hand. Anyone hear about this?

Paul
 #332926  by hoggerslim

The way I heard it, once the P&W expressed their ambition in making it happen, the power company used it all to their full advantage, getting NS to lower rates. (NS provides all the coal for that plant). I had heard the opposite in regards to the test burn, but of course, who knows what the truth is.
The participating carriers didnt complain about the traffic, but wanted P&W to foot the bill for everything. (I believe CP even sent them a bill for refueling their power at E. Binghamton-at market price, not wholesale!!) The power plant got what they wanted.

#333654  by Ken W2KB

superwarp1 wrote:I remember reading about the China Coal in the news paper a couple of years ago. Wondering if it's still true.
Yes. Environmental permits for generators operating in the northeast and midAtlantic regions generally require low sulphur coal not available in the USA, and/or not available due to US mining and rail transportation issues.

#334328  by paulrail

From what I have read, all of the coal coming out of the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and being shipped to US powerplants WAS low sulphur coal. Mines outside of the PRB ahe high sulphur coal, and thay is why UP and BNSF ship millions of tos of PRB coal for interchange with connecting railroads for delivery.

Coal for Mt Tom power plant in Holyoke, MA and Bow, NH is shipped over the D&H to Guilford and CSX for drop-off. The powerplant in Somerset, MA (near Fall River) has it's coal barged in, as they are right on the water.