Railroad Forums 

• P&E Mansfield-Bloomington

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#262  by MR77100

NS just filed to abandon the Peoria & Eastern line from Mansfield west to Bloomington. Are there going to be any attempts to save the line?
 #567  by Dean Tower

I'm not much of an expert, but I would doubt there will be any effort to save this segment of the P&E. There's no business left on the line, and the diamond is out at Mansfield (NS). The grain elevator at Gillum is closed, I believe. Other elevators -- Watkins, Empire, and Harris -- are either closed or have other shipping arrangements.
 #6864  by bn13814

Norfolk Southern filed to discontinue service over this line, not abandon it. This means that its track maintenance people are no longer required to maintain signals at grade crossings or approach or stop signals at junctions. I figure the line will be rail-banked for the forseeable future.

DPJ
 #69737  by Dean Tower

The track is still in, but the right of way is paved over at the crossing at Gillum. The rails are still in, however. The ROW is weedgrown.

#506993  by B.M.C.A.S

Thanks for the info. I am new to this site but have lived in Urbana for the last two years.

This line still has its rails at Le Roy and Farmer City, but is very overgrown.

I had been curious what date it was taken out of service.