• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 380 posts
  by JoeCollege

Scot, it would seem to me that "We" is Procter & Gamble. I think they're the only diaper shippers on the line. :P

FWIW, I'd heard a similar comment from a P&G employee a number of years ago; that they used to send out tons of toilet paper by rail but that service was costly and spotty at best.
  by K4Pacific

Scot,

The previous post-er was referring to the P&G plant. He is correct on the rail traffic posting.

The deal of the Lehigh isn't dead at all - just on hold until fudiciary conditions improve across the board in the industry. I just noted that NS along the Southern Tier Line is preparing for a downturn in traffic.

The red boxcars for Mahoopany have been CP Rail and CN's. They're always blocked and ready to go in the evening at Elmira Yard when the train is marked up. I would assume if the Lehigh Railwaty were running that block of cars would be forwarded at around two in the afternoon on the Sayre turn that handles cripples for GE Railcar. Rusty rail conditions on the Lehigh Secondary mean 10 mph trains and protected crossings using the full 12 hours, just as it is for the Corning Secondary.

I hope I've clarified.
  by SemperFidelis

Sorry about the confusion. "We" refers to the collective body of Procter Gamble.

We would like to ship by rail, but the railroads seem intent on making themselves uncompetetive, at least on the finished product end.
  by Trackbolt

I recently used Windows Live Local to take a virtual tour of the Lehigh Secondary from Sayre to Mehoopany. Not much there. It seems the same for the former Lehigh Valley mainline to the north to the east of Van Etten Junction up the east side of the lake. Lots of rusty looking track. Is the Millican power plant on the east side of the lake the only customer on that section and is it still NS owned on operated? Lots of miles of track for only few customers.

Regards
Tony M
  by lvrr325

The power plant, the salt mine, and coal for Cornell spotted in the yard in Ithaca are the customers on the line, plus the aformentioned customer in Waverly. I don't know if the salt mine is still busy enough for a daily local, but it was for many years. There was a period where salt was being trucked to the Owego & Hartford and loaded there, but I don't remember the details or reasons behind that.
  by tomjohn

OK, so is the proposed LEHIGH RAILWAY going to happen or are we going to have another rails to trail in this country ? with the amount of citizens out of work I would definitely opt for the jobs on this rail line and keep our country and we citizens busy and productive where ever their homes are..
  by charlie6017

TomJohn, read this........it's part of a post from up above.

K4Pacific wrote:The deal of the Lehigh isn't dead at all - just on hold until fudiciary conditions improve across the board in the industry.
  by conrailguy

from what i have heard the owego and harford aked over the line from athens to mahopany jan 1 2009 and the ns guys are upset they actually have a poole going that it doesnt last 6 mths with the 10 mph slow orders in affect most of the way and no real online customer
  by TB Diamond

Received the the 01 Jan 2009 startup projection from a retired ConRail man just today.
  by Anchorman

Last I heard it's still on, from the "official" rumor mill anyway. Sometimes their info is just as sketchy as ours from the "rank and file".....but I did hear still around Jan. 1st......we'll see.....
  by wabash373

has anybody talked to the people at the owego and hartford or the luzerne susquehanna? the rumors are ok at times but why not go right to the right people and find out whats really going on?
  by Otto Vondrak

wabash373 wrote:has anybody talked to the people at the owego and hartford or the luzerne susquehanna? the rumors are ok at times but why not go right to the right people and find out whats really going on?
Welcome aboard... Mr...??