• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 380 posts
  by RS-3

Ah, I agree, that makes sense.

As to interchange, the "trackage right to Sayre" for interchange is pretty common in lease/sell offs. I'm sure NS is keeping the trackage to any and all business in Sayre and enough room past it that their trains will never have to worry about reaching Lehigh rails.

RS
  by lvrr325

Interchange will be where ever there's room to drop cars that doesn't tie up tracks for trains back and forth to Ithaca to run around their train. That's normally done on the east end of the yard because of the track arrangement, which is where scotty seems to be saying the interchange will be. Given all the room in the yard I don't see NS tying up tracks they use all the time - but it's liable to be left entirely up to the discretion of the crews, too.

About the only active rail customer in Sayre is the GE Railcar facility in the LV shops, I remember a few sidings to other places but nothing was active and I'd be surprised if that's changed any. Are they still using the little building next to the station as a crew base?

Sorry, had to fix that -
Last edited by lvrr325 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:
About the only business in Sayre is the GE Railcar facility in the LV shops, I remember a few sidings to other places but nothing was active and I'd be surprised if that's changed any. Are they still using the little building next to the station as a crew base?
There are technically three seperate businesses using parts of the Sayre yard, (in addition to NS)

GE railcar.
Rynone Industries.
Guthrie, for their helicopter base.

But GE is the only one using rail in any fashion..they have the yellow switcher.
As far as I know, Rynone has never shipped or recieved by rail..(they make furniture.)

GE railcar is the only NS customer in the Sayre/Athens area.

and yes, they are still using the little crew office as the NS base of operations for Sayre.

Scot
  by K4Pacific

Dare I get us an update on the Lehigh Railway? Should I? How litigious is this now? Yikes!
  by K4Pacific

Scot,

NS still services plastic pellet cars to the plant that makes drainage tile pipe (the name escapes me at this very moment) in Waverly on the old LV almost where LV's State Line Interlocking began. You can see it off I86 westbound.

I'll have an update tomorrow.
  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:Scot,

NS still services plastic pellet cars to the plant that makes drainage tile pipe (the name escapes me at this very moment) in Waverly on the old LV almost where LV's State Line Interlocking began. You can see it off I86 westbound.

I'll have an update tomorrow.
K4,
thanks! we will all look forward to an update! :P

as for the customer near State Line Interlocking..
I guess you must be referring to a customer in the old Tioga Mill complex off of Broad Street extension in Waverly..
just east of where the LV main passes under the Erie main.

but that spur off of the LV up into the old Tioga Mill is long gone..hasnt been used in 20 years at least..
I think the spur off of the LV was last used before the big Tioga Mill burned to the ground..late 80's..
actual rails of the spur lasted longer, maybe into the early 90's, but they are gone now too..

NS serves that area off of the Erie main out of Waverly, not the LV out of Sayre..
I think there are only two customers left in there:
The old Kasco mill..more recently Purina then Hagen..they made dogfood in recent times..not sure if they still do or not.

And the second customer must be the plastic tile company of which you speak..
that must be the big warehouse back by the Grand Union water tower..

At one time the LV, Erie and DL&W each had a spur into that area..today only the Erie connection remains.

thanks,
Scot
  by CHECKIT

This question is about active Lehigh Railway (if it happens) customers, so, I guess It is still basically on topic...there is a company just north of Towanda that looks rail served. What is this plant, (old Sylvania?), is it rail active?, is there anything between Towanda (besides TMSL) and Mehoopany that is rail served, besides, of course, the large P&G plant?
  by K4Pacific

Oh Scotty, the plant is ADS/Hancor. They receive plastic pellet cars for their SMOOTH INTERIOR CORRUGATED POLYETHYLENE PIPE (706-12) and other products. The switch is off of the LV track.

Anyway, I'll be calling in tomorrow.
  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:Oh Scotty, the plant is ADS/Hancor. They receive plastic pellet cars for their SMOOTH INTERIOR CORRUGATED POLYETHYLENE PIPE (706-12) and other products. The switch is off of the LV track.

Anyway, I'll be calling in tomorrow.
ohhhh!!
that place..right..
north of the Erie underpass..
of course.

wow..that place totally slipped my mind!
probably because im still not used to it being there! ;)
apparently I was in a 1980's fog when I typed my last note! ;)

I grew up directly behind that facility..(before it existed)
to me, that area is nothing but woods and trails!
cant believe I forgot about that place..

Scot
  by K4Pacific

NS operating officials on the Southern Tier Line are preparing for a downturn in traffic and alotting crews to that effect. Due to the economic downturn NS will continue to run the LV Line from Sayre - Mahoopany for the foreseeable future. It doesn't look like January 1st will be a start up date. The red box cars for Mahoopany are still gathering Elmira Yard.
  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:NS operating officials on the Southern Tier Line are preparing for a downturn in traffic and alotting crews to that effect. Due to the economic downturn NS will continue to run the LV Line from Sayre - Mahoopany for the foreseeable future. It doesn't look like January 1st will be a start up date. The red box cars for Mahoopany are still gathering Elmira Yard.
Thanks for the update K4!

but thats disappointing.. :(
the economy killed the Lehigh Railway before it even turned a wheel!

well, maybe it will return in a few years..
meanwhile, I guess this topic is dead..for now..

thanks,
Scot
  by SemperFidelis

We recieve pulp (from Canada and South America [transload in Baltimore from ship] and some chemicals/glues/purifiers for the plant via boxcar.

We no longer ship anything outbound due to poor reliability and poor (much higher than trucking) rates. The plant used to ship massive amount of diapers by rail.
  by scottychaos

SemperFidelis wrote:We recieve pulp (from Canada and South America [transload in Baltimore from ship] and some chemicals/glues/purifiers for the plant via boxcar.

We no longer ship anything outbound due to poor reliability and poor (much higher than trucking) rates. The plant used to ship massive amount of diapers by rail.
thanks..
but..umm..who is "we"?
did you post in the right thread?

not sure what you are talking about! ;)

thanks,
Scot