Railroad Forums 

• Overhead crane - Salamanca

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1418617  by nydepot

Just a photo I find interesting. I've seen plenty of traveling, overhead cranes made of steel throughout the whole structure but this is the first I've seen one with a cast concrete support structure.

Seems like light colored material in the hoppers. Maybe for ash?

B&O in Salamanca NY
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (70.82 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
 #1418624  by BR&P

Charles, that was for ash handling. Both Dubois and East Salamanca had concrete structures IIRC and when a similar photo showed up on eBay a while back the BR&P Yahoo group kicked it around at length as to which location it was. Can';t recall whether it was mislabeled, but if you feel like getting technical you could get pics of both and see what you can figure out. The building at left and the light pole at center in your pic might be a help.
 #1418632  by nydepot

Thanks, Don. I was more interested in the fact that it was made of concrete. There was time they thought they could make anything from it.
 #1418646  by BR&P

The BR&P was, at one time, a top-notch railroad and did things the right way. Phone booths, mile posts, property markers, culverts - their concrete works turned out anything the railroad needed. Not to mention interlocking towers, ash cranes etc which were obviously built on site.