Railroad Forums 

• Out of curiosity...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#173027  by MEC407

sjl wrote: As railfans, knowledge of location and activities of the rr police departments should be of minimal consequence to us as law-abiding citizens. If you plan your train chasing trips based on where they aren't, then I wouldn't want to be hanging around with you anyway.
I saw nothing in the original message to indicate that the author was trying to avoid the railroad police. He simply wanted to know if the railroad had a police department, and then another person was curious about how many officers they had. Let's not make this into something bigger than what it really is, which as far as I can tell, is just innocent curiosity.

#173187  by rb

I find it disappointing that we can say that the B&M PD is the oldest RR PD in the country. But as soon as someone (me) asks a legitimate question about the force--its size, to be specific--people start arguing about bad guys vs good guys, terrorists, railfan image, fear of corporations, outrunning and avoiding the police.

Come on! All of those are non-issues. What if someone wanted to apply for a job with Guilford's PD? Would it be bad to ask then?

So we can talk all we want about Guilford and be proud of our "image," but the second it turns to their police we run in fear.

What were any of us doing wrong in the first place?

#173199  by MEC407

I will say again that the owners of this web site have deemed the question and the subject matter acceptable, with the specific exceptions that I mentioned previously. RB, if I knew the answer to your question about how many officers the BM PD had, I would answer your question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer. I do know that they have a chief, a captain, and several officers of varying rank. The number is probably somewhere between five and 10, but I'm not certain.

If anybody else finds this subject matter objectionable, take it up with the owners of the web site.

#173242  by MNRR_RTC

I didn't mean to start World War 3 here guys. I am just a railroad worker who is curious in the other railroads that I deal with. Alot of this stuff I could of found out by asking the PL1 and PL2 crews, but I have a busy job and I don't always have the time or remember to ask.

For those who have helped me out, I have one more question if you can indulge me. Does this railroad have any block operators in the towers left or is it central dispatcher controlled like my railroad? Again, thanks for the info and I promise not to sell any of it to the Al Quaeda or other terrorist organization. Scouts honor :wink:

#173249  by MEC407

MNRR_RTC, your questions are welcome, as are anybody else's! The only way any of us can learn anything is by asking questions. :-D