Railroad Forums 

• Otto Tower on the CNIC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#258613  by natethegreat

Otto Tower is located at milepost 60.3 on the CN Chicago Subdivision. The tower is unmanned and contains the equipment that controls an interlocking that connects the Herscher branch to the mainline. I believe that the CN dispatcher in Homewood, Illinois has control over the interlocking. IIRC, it is one of only three in its style that remains. The other two are located in Ashkum, IL and at the south end of Markham Yard in Homewood IL.

I'll see if I can find some photos.

#258615  by natethegreat

Here is a picture of Otto Tower:
PHOTO

Here is a picture of the tower in Ashkum IL. It is the same design as the one in Otto.
PHOTO