Railroad Forums 

• Oswego, NY Abandonment dates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1335422  by Oswego railroad museum

Well seeing how everyone else answered most of the questions I will answer your questions about the museum. I see this thread is old and unfortunately I had to start a new profile due to the fact I can't get in my old one. So I couldn't answer before. Anyhow the yellow crossing shanty is new york Ontario and western. Its original location was east Schuyler and 10th streets....it was found at a construction company near by....we have been slowly working on it. The cross bucks were flea market finds. The whistle posts are also NYOWRR one is from Norwich the other is from Fulton. The handcar is something we fabricated for the July fourth parade a few years ago. We won first place. Any other questions pertain to the area or our museum feel free to ask us. Thanks Oswego RR Museum President
 #1335614  by lvrr325

Yard was kind of jammed in between houses once the line crossed what's now Route 104 there. May have been some more tracks in where the line down into the steam plant ran, when I last saw it there was one very overgrown track but it was cleared on a level area wide enough for several more.

That does bring up a point, though. How did Conrail operate up here before pulling the plug on the west side, were customers there served via the east side and the DL&W from Oswego to Fulton left out of service until it became part of the tank farm line?
 #1335617  by The RR Authority

BR&P wrote:
TB Diamond wrote:The former "East Hojack" (Ontario Secondary), Oswego-Hannibal, 8.1 miles, abandoned 22 January 1978

OMID abandoned the Ontario Secondary Track, Red Creek-Hannibal 05 October 1980
Thanks TBD - Matt was correct.

The OMID segment I do recall, there was one year of operations under OMID and the final trip was an excursion using NRHS coaches.

Hannibal was not a favorite place for OMID extra crew guys. They would work their full-time jobs, then catch a Hannibal run out of Sodus. Running time alone was about 3 hours one way. If there was switching at North Rose, Wolcott and/or Red Creek in addition to Hannibal, they could find themselves dragging back into Sodus at 2AM - and then facing a 45 minute ride home and a 6AM start to their regular job in the morning. It was another example of how the fun of railfanning is sometimes quite different from the reality of railroading.
Not that crew. They would have been given 8 hours rest before another call.
 #1335619  by BR&P

No, there was no requirement for rest at their regular jobs. Many occasions saw those guys getting a VERY short night's sleep.
 #1396213  by nydepot

Woudl this be the right line?

Paul to Mexico 1959
Mexico to Pulaski 1966

Passenger service discontinued, Oswego to Pulaski, Sept. 25, 1947

Charles
 #1396884  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Cool, thanks!! Mileposts were marked with P for Pulaski if I'm not mistaken?

Headed up that way this week. I've already explored most everything in Oswego, and have found the Lycoming Depot. Anything else to see? Public trails, bridges, mile or whistle posts? Was also wondering where the New Haven station originally was located, when it was moved, and if it is easy to find at its current location.Thanks to everyone for the help so far!
 #1396904  by BR&P

NYCUticaSyracuse81 wrote: Mileposts were marked with P for Pulaski if I'm not mistaken?
That is correct.

And as a point of info for those who may not know it, in this case the town is pronounced "Pulas-sky", not "Pulas-skee"