Railroad Forums 

• Orange Branch

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#315081  by NJ Vike

Well, I'm getting ready to cover the Orange Branch and would like for anyone with pictures to post on this thread. I see that there was a station located on Bloomfield Avenue in Bloomfield. If anyone knows where I can view a picture of it I would be grateful.

Also, here's a real puzzle. In Bloomfield on Arlington avenue there's an overpass and if you look below, this is where the train passed. Not too long ago, Westinghouse have buildings in this area.

When you look to the side of the overpass you will notice there are stairs here leading down to were the tracks are. However, I see no reference at all of a stop or station being here. Was there a stop here? If not, why the stairs to the platform?

Ken

#316194  by Tri-State Tom

Ken -

Re that stairway down from Arlington Ave....

Does it look like something that would be for a station/platform down at track level or is it narrow enough to suggest it may have been for the use of MOW forces to have ROW access at that point ?

Most of the surrounding Watsessing area has been either bulldozed or abandoned over the past 25-30 years and looks nothing like it did for decades up until the mid-1960's.

#316199  by NJ Vike

Tri-State Tom wrote:Ken -

Re that stairway down from Arlington Ave....

Does it look like something that would be for a station/platform down at track level or is it narrow enough to suggest it may have been for the use of MOW forces to have ROW access at that point ?

Most of the surrounding Watsessing area has been either bulldozed or abandoned over the past 25-30 years and looks nothing like it did for decades up until the mid-1960's.
Tom,

It looks like a platform existed there. I haven't been there in five years or more and even then, I restricted my time there because of the element. I will, however, be going back again this weekend to take some pictures.

I posted this topic on another board and got a response that someone believes there *may* have been a stop there because of the workers going to the Westinghouse Plant. I guess it could be but wouldn't it be on one of the Erie's schedules?

This is really strange. I followed the ROW through East Orange and in many cases, the ROW is in tact. Going into West Orange it is hard to find anything although, I really didn't spend much time there either.

Pictures to follow but it would sure be nice to solve this mystery