Railroad Forums 

• Opportunities for non-museum cab rides for the public

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1216384  by SouthernRailway

Are there any opportunities out there for the general public to ride in a regular modern locomotive cab at regular speeds--other than in a museum train's locomotive?

E.g., are there schools or regular short-line railroads that have special events where you can do that?

I assume that railroads, in their normal operations (particularly Class I and IIs), wouldn't let the general public ride in their cabs due to liability, but am just curious!

Thanks.
Last edited by SouthernRailway on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1216614  by MEC407

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that it's not completely impossible, but it involves knowing people who work for the railroad who would be willing to make this happen for you. It's become much more difficult in recent years, especially on the Class I railroads which are installing multiple cameras inside the locomotive cabs.
 #1216636  by DutchRailnut

The better question is why would Engineer or Conductor Jeopardize their job for something you know is a rules violation.
These days railroads do not take this as a joke.
 #1226898  by Engineer Spike

It can get stressful out on the main tracks. Extra distraction is not needed. We need to keep track of our running authorities, contend with MOW foremen, and in my case listen to what is going on in two languages.

This is not to say that sometimes it is a nice easy going ride.

I used to work on commuter trains. Sometimes we were going along at 60-70 mph. someone would knock on the. control compartment door because he wanted a look-see. Think about it!
 #1231523  by scharnhorst

Yup at the Partola Railroad Museum click on the "Visit us" and you'll find info there. You can pay to run a locomotive there.

http://www.wplives.org/webcam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wplives.org/ral.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;