Railroad Forums 

• Opinions Sought on PATCO Extension

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#96849  by Douglas John Bowen

Thanks to JLo for the heads-up.

NJ-ARP will respond, registering its interest (and skepticism on various levels).

We urge all interested parties -- regardless of opinion -- to do the same.

#97143  by cbaker

Is PATCO still including service through Woodbury in their plan? So far, they have been unsuccessful in getting past the NIMBYs there...

#98177  by railbird

I think the better solution to sj transportation problems would be to utilize row and infrastructure already in place . theres alot of rail already laid in sj
and i think it would be dumb to lay rail in the rt 55 corridor. talk about a waste o' money. lets utilize heavy rail and stop wasting time with this light rail frane of mind.
Im all for rail transportation in sj , but i dont think patco is the answer.
 #98196  by Douglas John Bowen

NJ-ARP would request that interested parties not automatically equate light rail transit (LRT) with median-highway running, regardless of submodal preferences for Gloucester County.

Just for the record, NJ-ARP supports a "modified PATCO" approach to Gloucester County (which, we might note, could also be described as "modified LRT"). We remain open to an approach different from (if still compatible with) the River Line, though we acknowledge this could prove difficult.

Regardless of the rail mode, however, NJ-ARP is extremely skeptical over any utility to be gained by running rail primarily within highway medians.

#118883  by JLo

Here is the latest on the three proposals. NIMBYs, of course, are predicting defeat of existing right-of-way use.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news ... 437074.htm

#119037  by Jersey_Mike

If PATCO/NJT were willing to spend MegaBucks the ideal solution would be an underwater tunnel from Westville to Greenwitch yards in south philly. This would allow for a "sports complex" stop with trains eventually terminating at the lower level of 30th St station. Electrifacation could be 750VDC 3rd Rail just like with the old PRSL interurban line.

Other than that I support a standard commuter line for the route with stops at Millville, Vineland, Newfield, Franklin, Malaga, Glassboro, Pittman, Sewell, Wenonah, Woodburry Heights, Woodburry, Westville, Glouster City, Camden Broadway and Camden Waterfront. This would allow suburbanites direct access to the Camden waterfront without having to change to the River Doggle or run the guantlet from Walter Rand to the river on surface streets.