Railroad Forums 

• Operating Rules

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#227863  by jonnhrr

I understand that CSX although part of the NORAC group does not actually operate using NORAC rules but their own rules that are similar to NORAC.

Does anyone know if there is a web site with a copy of the CSX rules?

Also what does CSX use in place of the NORAC Form D for operating in dark territory?

TIA,
Jon

#227927  by clearblock

CSX originally operated their former Conrail lines under NORAC but they have since changed to their own operating rules.

The NORAC Form D has been replaced by the CSX Form EC-1.

#228089  by CSX Conductor

Many CSX trains continue to operate under NORAC Rules when operating over a foreign railroad which uses NORAC (i.e. Amtrak property). :wink:

#229232  by jonnhrr

CSX Conductor wrote:Many CSX trains continue to operate under NORAC Rules when operating over a foreign railroad which uses NORAC (i.e. Amtrak property). :wink:
I guess that means they would have to be qualified in both sets of rules for some operations, for example Q426 and Q427 which run on the GRS Worcester Main up to Ayer - which is controlled by Form D.

#229279  by rocketman

We were told in the early development stages of the new Rule Book that CSX borrowed some of the "best parts" of NORAC. In result they made the Op. Rules too wordy and extremely difficult to interpret and understand. One of the worst things about the new book is that everything is scattered and poorly grouped into related Rules. I hate it and love it at the same time. Now that Local Management is busting our balls the new Rule book should be renamed to the "How to Shut the Railroad Down Field Manual." I'd gladly go back to NORAC and Form D's any day. CSX's lawyers had a field day with this new one and opened just as many loop holes as they closed. It seems to me they tried to posture themselves to have a rule book that helped them circumvent certain situations where in NORAC procedures were more restrictive (and much safer) but instead made things so complicated - someone is soon sure to be fired, killed or both. If anything they can fire a guy a couple thousand different ways now. So if one of you guys happen to notice some dirty scowls from the crews lately while you're doing your "railfanning" it's not just because you're a buff - crews can't tell - you might as well be one of these braindead Trainmasters trying like hell to fire us.

#229472  by FireChaserE3

I'm pretty new to alot of this stuff....and this might sound like a dumb question.....but what does NORAC stand for?

Jim F.

#229502  by CSX Conductor

Yes NORAC (Northeast Operating Rules Advisory Committe) Rules were much more "cut & dry". The CSXT rules do not clarify much, and in several areas one rule may tell you to refer to two or three others. :( Chris, you hit the nail on the head when you mention making things into larger grey ares....that's just it.....the crews are going to be held accountable the most. I once asked a train-master his opinion of something and replied, "Whatever you feel is safest", which did not clarify anything. :(

Jonnhrr, yes Q426/Q427 is a good example where our crews would have to be qualified on both. Another example is on locals such as B710 & B733 out of Readville, B736 out of Walpole and B729 out of Middleboro, all of which for the most part operate solely on MBCR or Amtrak property. :wink: