• Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

One of my favorite OMID photos that I've taken over the years. The 408 smoking it up at Burlee Rd, taken in the Summer of 2003.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by D Alex

What's up with OM these days? They have those miles and miles of track paralleling Rt. 104, heading to the Xerox property, but this line hasn't seen a train in, what, months? Years? Is this line even being maintained any longer?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Did the Mott's bottling plant ever have a carload? The siding seems intact and unused.
  by BR&P

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Did the Mott's bottling plant ever have a carload? The siding seems intact and unused.
"Did" or "does"? In the early days of OMID, that was the largest customer on the line. Inbound loads of rice hulls and diatomaceous earth, outbound loads of apple sauce and juice. They would load 2 to 3 cars a day, and the outbound loads went west to California in 8-car blocks. On a few occasions they required a second switch the same day.

If you mean "does", I'll let somebody else answer that one.
  by Matt Langworthy

D Alex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:45 pm What's up with OM these days? They have those miles and miles of track paralleling Rt. 104, heading to the Xerox property, but this line hasn't seen a train in, what, months? Years? Is this line even being maintained any longer?

The westernmost customer is currently just west of Rt 21 in Williamson. The biodiesel plant in Ontario shut down years ago. I have chased the RR 3 times since last May of last year. Based on freight cars appearing and then disappearing at other times, it looks like OMID operates a few days per week. The best bet is to get to Maple Ave in Sodus around 8 AM and wait to see if an Alco leaves the engine house.

Also, the spur for Great Lakes Cold Storage in Sodus was reconfigured around the end of last summer, which allowed OMID to reduce the Maple Ave crossing from three tracks to one.