Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1178173  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:What's become of OMID 201, 2-bay open hopper? 2006 photos show it sitting in Newark whitelined with "SCRAP" spray painted on it. Is that the same 2-bay that sat in Victor for a long time?
OMID had two former C&I hoppers used for ballast service. Somewhere I have the numbers but working from memory I THINK they were 165 and 404. They were oMID 201 and can't recall if 202 was lettered OMID or ONCT but both spend their entire Ontario Lines life on OMID. Unconfirmed reports said they were scrapped about 3 years ago.

When the ADIR was auctioned off in 1982, a former RDG 2-bay hopper was bought by....RSA Leasing??... and assigned to Ontario Eastern, as ONER 203. When ONER shut down that was sent to Victor where it served ONCT.

Somewhere about 10 years ago (Another one of those things I can produce an exact date if it matters to someone) ONCT arranged a trade. The Reading Technical & Historical Society bought a surplus AMTK ballast car which was shipped via NS to ONCT, becoming their 204. The RDG hopper was trucked out for restoration by the RDG folks.

By the way, the last I knew the former AMTK car - which was a former Airslide covered hopper - was still in service on FGLK as ONCT 204. It may have been relettered by now.
 #1404570  by thebigham

http://www.fltimes.com/news/wayne-count ... 227c9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wayne County renews lease with short-line railroad
By STEVE BUCHIERE [email protected] Oct 10, 2016

LYONS — The Wayne County Board of Supervisors has a new five-year track lease agreement with the short-line railroad Ontario Midland Railroad. But it’s not going to bring in revenue for the county. It’s for a dollar a year. Essentially, said Wayne County Administrator Rick House, the county owns the tracks — which comprise a couple of different rail lines that once operated in Wayne County — but Ontario Midland maintains them.
 #1404868  by Otto Vondrak

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Do they run with any sort of "regular" schedule?
When I spoke to Sandy last winter, she told me they run "as-needed" and a large part of their business is car storage. It sounds like they only run trains if the customer requests a switch.

-otto-
 #1405395  by dj_paige

I don't get out to Wolcott very often, but tonight the "yard" there was filled with boxcars and center beam lumber rail cars. At least two tracks were used for storing these cars (and maybe three tracks, I'm not too sure since I was driving by and you know, I had to watch where I was driving). Checking my photos of this "yard" from 2013, there was only one active/usable track at that time.
 #1405421  by lvrr325

I notice looking at some Google Streetview photos the same small maybe 8,000 gallon tank car tucked in sidings in Williamson and East Williamson, coupled to the same large modern tank car and rusty covered hopper in both shots. and the same FGLK ex-Guilford box car coupled to it in one view, and on the same siding but west of the crossing in the other view.

Is this guy in some kind of captive service up there? It appears to be too old for interchange.
 #1405434  by BR&P

If that's the car I'm thinking of, here's the story, or at least part of it.

When OMID started up, among the customers it served was Comstock Foods at Red Creek. They had a spur up there on which was an old tank car which they used for temporary storage of some liquid or other - possibly sugar syrup? When they no longer wanted the car, Comstock either gave or sold it to OMID.

OMID used the car a few times when doing their own weed spray. Diagonally across the tracks from the Sodus depot was an Ag service whose owner was a certified herbicide applicator. The tank car would be filled with water, and a flat car would be borrowed from Conrail. The spray guy set up large fiberglass tanks holding the various chemicals and a couple pumps on the flat car, and water was pumped from that tank car. Spray booms on the end of the car applied the mix to the right of way.

What OMID does with it now I don't know, since they contract out with one of the commercial applicators as far as I know. From an historical viewpoint I hope it goes to some museum instead of scrap when they decide to get rid of it.
 #1405478  by BR&P

OK, after 45 minutes of digging I found the slide I was looking for - only to see that it was taken before OMID got that tank car. But here it is anyway.

Water was carried in the large tanks on the flat car in this scene from early 80's. OMID Track Supervisor T.C. Record in the red hat, contractor Bob Bull with his back to the camera.
img364.jpg
img364.jpg (243.63 KiB) Viewed 6752 times