Railroad Forums 

• On this date in Rochester rail history...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1314229  by sd80mac

C2629 wrote:January 11 1977,

Rochester NY, this is the B&O local sitting at Ridge Rd. waiting to get into Eastman Kodak. I cant be positive but I think this may have been the first time a Western Maryland F unit made an appearance on the B&O belt line.

look like CPsmith's photo beat this - 1976.... :P

and that loco is what it look like in Runaway Train movie... It remind me of that movie.
 #1314240  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:look like CPsmith's photo beat this - 1976.... :P
Go back and read it again. C2629's post says "this may have been the first time a Western Maryland F unit made an appearance on the B&O belt line."

CPSmith's pic is at Lincoln Park where the road power was serviced - not on the Belt Line.
 #1314287  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:
sd80mac wrote:look like CPsmith's photo beat this - 1976.... :P
Go back and read it again. C2629's post says "this may have been the first time a Western Maryland F unit made an appearance on the B&O belt line."

CPSmith's pic is at Lincoln Park where the road power was serviced - not on the Belt Line.
I take it that whole thing in rochester area is B&O... tks for clarify...
 #1314457  by BR&P

January 27, 1978

Altho the great blizzard predicted in Rochester for the previous day never showed up, there was still a lot of snow already on hand. And two problems on that day each involved tracks which are only memories now.

Job CRC-2 was to bring an accumulation of cars out of Exchange Street, but derailed the engine on the Plymouth Avenue crossing (former PRR track).

And EX-1 derailed in deep snow at the whistle post for Corby's Crossing, south of Honeoye Falls heading to Lima, with snow up to the running board of the engine.

January 27, 1981

Ontario Midland was busy - a crew on duty at 0530 with engine 36 went to Newark to get cars from Conrail, left cars headed east at Wallington, then worked the west end to Webster. After rerailing a car at Webster they gathered all the outbounds and left them at Wallington.

A crew on duty at 0730 with engine 40 went east to Red Creek with the track crew meeting them at crossings, using air from the engine to jackhammer and blow snow and ice from the crossings as needed. Back at Wallington, they picked up the cars the est end crew had left and delivered 19 outbounds to Conrail.

January 27, 1982

Ontario Midland crew with engine 86 worked to Red Creek, then shoved the Jordan Spreader on the way back using the flanger attachment to clear the track.

January 27, 2004

Ontario Central, engine 418. crew took an hour to get across the parking lot at Victor Insulator where the snow had been packed down to 3 inches of ice. 9 car inbound delivery including 5 gons for A&K at Manchester. Taking 2 cars of poles to the far west end, the first car derailed at the switch just west of Maple Avenue Victor, blocking the crossing with the second car. The village highway crew brought out a payloader to push the second car back and open the road, while ONCT called out help and rerailed the car about 10PM. Made some track repair, spotted the pole cars and marked off at 0015 very cold, wet and hungry.

Keep your eyes open out there today guys, this date has a history of stuff happening! :P
 #1314535  by charlie6017

I have to say I'm enjoying this thread.....love reading these stories. Think it's safe to say some
of these might not have been too pleasant for crews at that particular time, though! :P

Charlie
 #1314616  by BR&P

January 28, 1897

Not in Rochester itself but I'll include it anyway. Head-on collision between Leroy and DL&W Jct on the BR&P. An eastbound snowplow extra was supposed to take the siding at DL&W Jct but overlooked the meet, and hit Train 31 at about 30 miles per hour. Conductor of the plow train, Harry Snyder, 44, and brakeman George Cranston, 31, both of Rochester, were killed. :( :(

January 28, 1979

Foreign (sort of) power! Unit coal train for Kodak had 3 P&LE units - 2800, 2803, 2808.
 #1314642  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:January 28, 1979

Foreign (sort of) power! Unit coal train for Kodak had 3 P&LE units - 2800, 2803, 2808.
I was just reading in one of my books last night that Kodak received coal from P&LE. Was it common
for these trains to have P&LE power on them?

Thanks!
Charlie
 #1314651  by BR&P

Charlie, not usually. I do recall a Kodak unit train from early 1965 which had a couple P&LE GP7's in the consist, they derailed between Ridge Road and McCall Road possibly due to wide gauge. It's possible there were a few others. But normally they had straight NYC power.

FWIW, in the mid 1960's the Kodak unit train was a fairly predictable Saturday event. I'm guessing Kodak wanted a Saturday AM delivery to avoid conflicting with weekday activity. They would alternate between the NYC and B&O, and the road power and cabooses on the unit trains provided something different on the Belt Lines, instead of the same old RS1's (NYC) and EMD switchers (B&O) that were usually used. As time went on things were not quite as predictable, B&O occasionally used twin NW2's instead of the F units and Geeps off the road, and NYC sometimes came in at other times than Saturday AM.
 #1314729  by Matt Langworthy

I was about 75 miles southeast of Rochester on January 27th, 1978. Hammondsport Central School was closed for the day because of the blizzard that never came. I was out sledding with my friends when I heard the horn of B&H #5. I took the sled home and raced off to the tracks. That was chasing the old-fashioned way- just a few days before turning 8 years old.
 #1315316  by Matt Langworthy

February 1st, 1968:

The Penn Central merger formally takes effect. This rendered the old PRR trackage rights on LV moot, and eventually led to the demise of most of the remaining Pennsy trackage in Monroe County.
 #1315387  by CPSmith

Not quite ...

In the STB era, trackage rights are applied for and granted through STB decisions. Similarly, ending or removal (semantics) of trackage rights are also applied for and granted through STB decisions. Mergers, acquisitions, line sales, etc. do not alter existing trackage rights agreements - they stand on their own.

For example, NS has applications in the STB to acquire the south end of the D&H. NS already has trackage rights agreements with the D&H, therefore NS submitted additional applications to give up the trackage rights if the line sale is approved. They're all on the STB website if you want more - I won't repeat here.

The PC merger happened during the ICC era. Not sure how things were handled then and anything here would be pure speculation.

With respect to the PRR trackage in Monroe County and south to the LV junction, most of it remained intact well into the Conrail era. I believe (but won't guess) the PRR from the LV junction through Scottsville to the West Shore was the first to be pulled (and rather quickly) as the merger made it redundant and it had few (if any) online customers. I'm sure someone has the dates - I do not. I'm guessing the first item to go was the West Shore NYC-PRR diamond near Black Creek. The rest of the PRR north of the diamond and into the city hung around until the late '70s or early '80s.