Railroad Forums 

• OMNY

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1572624  by R36 Combine Coach

NJT vending machines do return change in bills. As for $1 coins, Canadians have gotten used to them
for some reason.
 #1572647  by ExCon90

I think the government simply stopped printing $1 bills, so getting used to the loonies inevitably followed. For $1 coins to work in the US two things would be needed:

Stop printing $1 bills!!!
Make the $1 coin distinguishable from a quarter. (They could also break new ground by actually putting a numeral on the coin -- is the US the only country that doesn't put numerals on its coins?
 #1572715  by GirlOnTheTrain

I once had somebody complain to me about the dollar coins given at the MVM with the excuse of "Where I come from they don't take these"
"You live in the United States, correct?"
"Yes."
"Then tell them they have to accept them."
 #1572773  by MACTRAXX

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 pm I think the government simply stopped printing $1 bills, so getting used to the loonies inevitably followed. For $1 coins to work in the US two things would be needed:

Stop printing $1 bills!!!
Make the $1 coin distinguishable from a quarter. (They could also break new ground by actually putting a numeral on the coin -- is the US the only country that doesn't put numerals on its coins?
EC90 and Everyone: I have been watching this topic - and will contribute information in multiple posts
because of the limitations of my device. First subject: US and Canada Dollar Coins with history...

The Bank of Canada discontinued printing the Canada $1 bill 32 years ago this month - on June 30, 1989.
The Royal Canadian Mint began issuing the current "Loonie" $1 coin beginning in 1987 replacing a larger
coin similar in size and weight to the US "Eisenhower" Dollar. The Canada $1 bill was gradually withdrawn
from circulation with completion around the end of 1990/beginning of 1991 time period. The phase-in of
the replacement took 4-5 years and was not undertaken until there was sufficient amounts of $1 coins in
circulation to adequately replace the $1 bill in Canada.

Canada learned from the US mistakes with the 1979-1980 (some dated 1981 and 1999) Susan B. Anthony
Dollar Coin - that was the reason for the brass/gold color that would later be used on recent US $1 coin
issues since 2000 so they would not be confused for a quarter.

Interesting observation - the most common used US coins - other than some of the recent $1 coins -
do not have numerals used - the text reads: 50 cent piece/coin-Half Dollar; 25 cents-Quarter Dollar
(hence the nickname "Quarter"); 10 cents-One Dime; 5 cents and one cent "Nickel" and "Penny"
read Five Cents and One Cent respectively.

MACTRAXX
 #1572775  by MACTRAXX

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:06 pm When PATH retired QuickCard in favor of SmartLink, customers were instructed to use up QuickCards as
they would expire. No refunds or SmartLink credit were offered.

NYCT still redeems tokens at cash value for refund (by appointment only or mail).
R36:
1-The PATH Smart Link phase-in and elimination of Quick Card was accomplished gradually over a period
of time from the end date of Quick Card sales - I believe it was over a year's time. Keep in mind that PATH
is a much smaller fare application than the Metrocard is for MTA NYCT and other agencies using Metrocard
(Ex: NICE Bus in Nassau County and Bee-Line in Westchester County) and is going to take much more time
for any conversion and/or elimination of Metrocard in favor of OMNY with the sheer numbers alone...

2-NYCT Tokens were last used on buses - July 1, 2003 until the end of that year after the 5/1 fare increase.
That was then $1.50 to $2 with a 50 cent coin addition. The last transport service to use NYCT tokens was
the Roosevelt Island Tram - which phased out the token back in Spring 2004 - which for that matter was
when the incarnation of this version of Railroad.Net began 17 years ago.

For the record it took the MTA 9 years to eliminate the NYCT Token from Metrocard introduction in 1994
until sales of tokens ended. Conversion from MTA Metrocard to OMNY is going to take some time...

MACTRAXX
 #1572799  by Head-end View

If I'm not mistaken Railroad.Net existed as far back as the year 2000, which was when I got on the Internet.
 #1572808  by MACTRAXX

Head-end View wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 pm If I'm not mistaken Railroad.Net existed as far back as the year 2000, which was when I got on the Internet.
H-E View: You are thinking about the earlier version of Railroad.Net which was brought down back in
2003 by a hack attack with all posts, forums and other information from that site unfortunately lost.
Did you ever take note that ALL current Railroad.Net forum archives begin in early 2004?
(not to go off the OMNY topic too much) MACTRAXX
 #1572824  by MACTRAXX

west point wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 am OMNY========= Oh my not yet !
WP: Interesting thought...Does the MTA even have any kind of timeline at this point to go forward
to phase in more comprehensively the OMNY Card to replace the Metrocard in the aftermath of the current
pandemic problems? This conversion is going to be a huge undertaking that is going to take significant time...

The first question is: Will the same incentives that Metrocard has for riders be offered on the OMNY Card?

The features that made the Metrocard widely used and accepted by riders were fare changes such as:

1997-Free Subway/Bus Transfers. Before then transfers were not offered between subway and buses.
Separate fares were collected for both - and the use of a NYCT Token was a must to use the Subway.

1998-The introduction of 1 Day, 7 Day and 30 Day Unlimited Metrocards. NYCT had been one of the last
major North American mass transit systems to offer passes to riders. Unfortunately the 1-Day "Fun Pass"
as it was titled was discontinued back around 2006(?) and has not been re-offered.

The first Metrocard savings incentive as I remember was offered beginning in 1995 which was a lower
weekend fare of $1 - the regular NYCT Transit fare at the time was $1.25 - at NYCT Subway stations that
were equipped for Metrocard during the process of installing fare collection equipment systemwide.

Will the OMNY Card offer the same benefits to riders as the Metrocard?

Without the basic features of transfer flexibility and block time passes most regular riders will not readily
accept the OMNY Card over the Metrocard. Incentives to purchase and use OMNY Cards should be promoted
similar to what the MTA did successfully with the Metrocard.

MACTRAXX
 #1572878  by GirlOnTheTrain

Right now you get transfers. Unlimited options have yet to be rolled out but are in the pipeline.

In theory once OMNY hits commuter rail they could do what politicians have wanted to do for years - Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road trips for the same price as NYCT. They could also implement fare capping like other systems do.
 #1572935  by R36 Combine Coach

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 am Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road trips for the same price as NYCT.
Only MBTA has commuter rail in city limits same fare as subway. LIRR zone 1 fares (in city) are
much higher than local intermediate fare rest of system.
 #1572937  by STrRedWolf

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:06 am
GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:28 am Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road trips for the same price as NYCT.
Only MBTA has commuter rail in city limits same fare as subway. LIRR zone 1 fares (in city) are
much higher than local intermediate fare rest of system.
I would think of it this way: LIRR zone 1 is a true "express" in comparison to the subway, which even though they have "express trains" (diamond signage) it's still the same price.
 #1573140  by R36 Combine Coach

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:40 am I would think of it this way: LIRR zone 1 is a true "express" in comparison to the subway, which even
though they have "express trains" (diamond signage) it's still the same price.
Another analogy could be the premium fare express buses between Midtown Manhattan and other boroughs
(often serving areas without subway service).
 #1574467  by daybeers

When will OMNY be able to be used on the AirTrain? Seems very silly it's on all subway & bus lines but not to the airport.
 #1574480  by MACTRAXX

daybeers wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:26 am When will OMNY be able to be used on the AirTrain? Seems very silly it's on all subway & bus lines but not to the airport.
DB: The JFK Airtrain is a Port Authority of NY and NJ service and is not part of the MTA or NYCT.
The JFK Airtrain accepts all Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards for payment of the $7.75 Airtrain fare - which is collected
at Jamaica and Howard Beach Stations only. NYCT 7 and 30 day Unlimited Metrocards are not accepted.
https://jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train
The Port Authority has its own established "SmartLink Card" (alongside Metrocard) used on the PATH system:
https://panynj.gov/path/en/fares.html (see PATH Fares under Rail)
The PA of NY and NJ may promote the use of their own SmartLink cards before any agreement is reached
with the MTA to honor the OMNY Card. Another thought would be NYCT accepting SmartLink as another
(future) form of payment increasing fare flexibility...MACTRAXX
 #1574503  by daybeers

I realize it's a PANYNJ service, but I think the PATH is set to get OMNY as well, which is also run by the same authority. It's just silly that if you fly into JFK, you can't use OMNY there, but can in the rest of the system.