Railroad Forums 

• Oldest Rail Still in Use

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#717090  by K4Pacific

While I was watching the Gang Mills yard local switch the Corning World Kitchen Plant yesterday, I looked down at the rail and I saw on the side Scranton 1892. Amazing that it would still be in use albeit for a siding, but still used. It was only 80 lb rail with 2 GP40-3s on it and a couple 100 ton hoppers of sand.

So I put it out there. Is there any older rail still in use out there in NYS? Location and recent sighting dates are encouraged.
 #717098  by dummy

back about ten years ago while wandering across the CSX main at 373 area i noticed the date on the siding rails are 1901. i think the some of the rails on the rochester and southern are early 1900s too. 1920s maybe? not sure. it was in the leroy area.
 #717104  by jgallaway81

Up until the renovations this summer, the Arcade & Attica was still running on 70# rail stamped 1880.

Someone from up there would have to comment on whether or not that rail has been replaced yet.
 #717113  by FarmallBob

dummy wrote: i think the some of the rails on the rochester and southern are early 1900s too. 1920s maybe? not sure. it was in the leroy area.
Indeed! Much (most?) of the rail on the R&S main between Paul and Ballantyne Roads in Chili shows dates between 1914 and 1918.

...FB
 #717147  by scharnhorst

Finger Lakes rolls on some old rail in Auburn off Columbus Street in the old Agway Yard going back to 18?? the rail is assorted 80 and 90 lbs.
CSX dose have some rail on the Montreal line in places that are mixed dates from the 1900's-1950's?
 #717174  by tree68

scharnhorst wrote: CSX does have some rail on the Montreal line in places that are mixed dates from the 1900's-1950's?
I know I've seen 40's, possibly 30's, although it's now welded rail (with bolt holes intact).

Most of the Adirondack Scenic is running on 105 lb rail rolled in 1920, which leads me to believe NYC did a major overhaul of the line in the early 20's. There is some older rail on the sidings at Thendara, but I don't recall the dates offhand.
 #717178  by SST

It has been atleast 10 years since I've walked a few rail lines around Buffalo. But, at the time, there is/was a siding off of the ex-PRR {Olean line} into a siding for NYSEG transfer station near the jct of the Gardenville line and the PRR. I remember seeing a stone hopper and mow equipment sitting on the siding. I seem to remember 1873. I'll have to venture back there when the leaves fall to verify.

Another area of rail still active is the western end of the Peanut Line where it connects with the Niagara Falls branch. I remember with fading memory that it pre-dated 1900. I will have to check this one out too.

I do remember posting these time stamps but it was probably on the "old forum."
 #717219  by FarmallBob

SST wrote:Another area of rail still active is the western end of the Peanut Line where it connects with the Niagara Falls branch. I remember with fading memory that it pre-dated 1900.
The former Peanut "main" in Caledonia - still in service as the Jones Chemical Spur of the G&W (or R&S?) - has many sticks showing 1900 - 1904.

...FB
 #717422  by scharnhorst

tree68 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote: CSX does have some rail on the Montreal line in places that are mixed dates from the 1900's-1950's?
I know I've seen 40's, possibly 30's, although it's now welded rail (with bolt holes intact).

Most of the Adirondack Scenic is running on 105 lb rail rolled in 1920, which leads me to believe NYC did a major overhaul of the line in the early 20's. There is some older rail on the sidings at Thendara, but I don't recall the dates offhand.

I don't think the whole Montreal Line is welded rail but I could be wrong last time I rode the line was 9 years ago back in my Sperry Days I never got much off the car inspection time I mostly spent time behind the controls or following the car with a company truck.
 #717452  by dummy

i know that the old hojack line has many old culverts with old rails for support. a hammer and chizel might show some dates of the mid 1800s? maybe ill take a day off this fall and find out.
 #717526  by thebigham

jgallaway81 wrote:Up until the renovations this summer, the Arcade & Attica was still running on 70# rail stamped 1880.

Someone from up there would have to comment on whether or not that rail has been replaced yet.
Rail in front of the Curriers station was stamped 1891.
 #717540  by tree68

dummy wrote:i know that the old hojack line has many old culverts with old rails for support. a hammer and chizel might show some dates of the mid 1800s? maybe ill take a day off this fall and find out.
I know for a fact that at least two culverts on ADIX have rails so used. If they date to the building of the line, that makes them pre-1891. I don't remember if there was a date on the culvert I visited myself - in fact, I think it's stone, so no date would have been cast into it. Getting to the rails would be a significant challenge.
 #717743  by Lehighton_Man

Alot of rail between Canandaigua & Shortsville on the Auburn line is 80ib rail.. I might take a wild guess that its pre 1920's. never checked roll dates though.
 #717776  by K4Pacific

So far the oldest rail in use in NYS can be found in Curriers. 1891. Confirmed. Are there any older still in use? Let us know.