Railroad Forums 

• Old Time Radio

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#441518  by jarubel

I've got a page of free Old Time Radio mp3's you can listen to. Every episode contains some type of railroad content.
I have more that I will be putting up eventually. Just going through them right now and deciding which ones have enough railroad content and are good enough.
It's kind of hard finding episodes that have railroad content, have to look through the titles and sometimes guess if they are railroad related or not. I'm sure I miss a lot of good ones. If anyone knows of any I would sure appreciate it if you could give me the name of the show and episode name or date, and I can try to include them.
Last edited by jarubel on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#441549  by umtrr-author

Wasn't there a show called "Grand Central Station?" I dimly recall that GCT was the setting for the show but that it didn't involve railroads all that much other than that.

While not strictly "Old Time Radio" the late Jean Shepherd frequently discussed trains and railroads during his shows. Most of what is available from his work is already posted on the net.

#441577  by jarubel

umtrr-author wrote:Wasn't there a show called "Grand Central Station?" I dimly recall that GCT was the setting for the show but that it didn't involve railroads all that much other than that.

While not strictly "Old Time Radio" the late Jean Shepherd frequently discussed trains and railroads during his shows. Most of what is available from his work is already posted on the net.
Yes, that's right, "Grand Central Station". I haven't included any of those episodes because, like you said, no railroad content in them, at least not in the episodes I have heard. Also "The Railroad Hour" which was a musical program, sponsored by the Association of American Railroads, would fall into the same category.

#441782  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the opening from the radio production Grand Central Station that I can recall listening to (sick days):

• "As a bullet train seeks its target, shining rails in every part of our great country are aimed at Grand Central Station, heart of the nation's greatest city. Drawn by the magnetic force of the fantastic metropolis, day and night great trains rush toward the Hudson River, sweep down its eastern bank for 140 miles. flash briefly by the long red row of tenement houses south of 125th Street, dive with a roar into the 2 1/2 mile tunnel which burrows beneath the glitter and swank of Park Avenue and then... Grand Central Station! Crossroads of a million lives! Gigantic stage on which are played a thousand dramas daily."

--Opening from "Grand Central Station," broadcast over the NBC Radio Blue Network, 1937
And here how it sounded.

Here is prior discussion and a "clip" at this Forum regarding "The Railroad Hour".

#441867  by Ken W2KB

umtrr-author wrote:While not strictly "Old Time Radio" the late Jean Shepherd frequently discussed trains and railroads during his shows. Most of what is available from his work is already posted on the net.
Shep was also rather good at imitating the sounds of a steam locomotive. :wink: