Railroad Forums 

• Old Orchard Beach Passenger Station/Passenger service

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1395115  by whatelyrailfan

When I was a kid growing up in the 1970s-early 1980s my parents took my sister and I to Old Orchard Beach every other year, and I remember lots of long B&M freights with as many as six locomotives, but no passenger trains. And the frequency of the trains could be as many as 6-10 some days. My question: When did the B&M discontinue passenger service Boston-Portland, and where was the OOB station, and when was it torn down. We used to stay at the Waverly Motel, which is just south of the Pier and the crossing at Old Orchard Street where my sister and I used to walk up and watch not just the long trains, but the pissed-off drivers who had to wait (Boo Hoo, poor babies). It was double track back then, and almost always the power for the trains was B&M blue with the locomotives varying from the newer GP-40s, to Alcos & SDs, and older GPs. The last year we vacationed there was 1984 when I'd just gotten my license and Guilford had just taken over the B&M, but I don't remember seeing anything painted in Guilford colors, although I may have seen a few MEC units.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1395137  by Dick H

B&M ended passenger service to Portland in 1965.

One weekday roundtrip continued from Dover to
Boston until 1967. To Boston in the AM and back
to Dover in the PM. This was largely to accommodate
B&M employees that lived around Dover and north of Haverhill.

From this website: http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/ORB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In 1873, the B&M finally came directly to Old Orchard Beach with a passenger
station on the site of today’s Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center".
(just north of the current Downeaster platform).

Postcard of station in 1914
https://www.amazon.com/Railroad-Station ... B00Q47XCG2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another view from New England Depot Blogspot
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LTmLH5-V2Hg/T ... hardPC.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1395142  by BostonUrbEx

So the double track was removed some time after 1984? That sounds fairly recent. Wasn't most of the double track the B&M was removing already gone by that point? Also, imagine double track through Old Orchard Beach today, with all the crowds crossing as soon as a train clears the crossing... could be a disaster...
 #1395157  by newpylong

BostonUrbEx wrote:So the double track was removed some time after 1984? That sounds fairly recent. Wasn't most of the double track the B&M was removing already gone by that point? Also, imagine double track through Old Orchard Beach today, with all the crowds crossing as soon as a train clears the crossing... could be a disaster...
Not very familiar with the history in Maine but west of Ayer to Rotterdam there was a lot of double iron right up to the late 80s in still.