Railroad Forums 

• Old North Broad Platforms

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#385132  by Bethlehem_Branch

Can anyone explain the disposition/relationship of the old platform at the North Broad Station to the main station area/waiting room? I guess a photo would be optimal....

I was riding the R6 (what RDGCo. engineering!) the other day and the distance from the current platform to the back of the station building is huge, so I was wondering how this was done.

Cheers.

#385215  by westernfalls

Access to the island platforms was by way of two tunnels, one for passengers and another for baggage. An old picture will make it clear.

#388459  by JimBoylan

Rode by today. The present Northbound Local platform is where the old Northbound platform used to be, the present Northbound Local track is the old Northbound Express track, the present Northbound Express track is the old Southbound Express track, the present Southbound Express and Southbound Local tracks are where the old Southbound platform used to be, the present Southbound Local platform is where the old Southbound Local track used to be, the station driveway is and was between all this and the station building.