Railroad Forums 

• Old IC Charter line abandonment dates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#44856  by Hoosierailnut

Anyone here know the dates sections of the old charter line was abandonded?
When was the last time a train used the line north and south of Lasalle?

#45014  by MR77100

Hoosierrailnut-
The IC "Charter Line" was first abandoned from Assumption south to Junction City (Centralia) in September, 1981. I'm not sure when the last train ran over this segment. The segment between Decatur and Maroa was adandoned in 1990, shortly after NS abandoned the PRR secondary that branched off at Maroa. The segment between Maroa and Clinton was abandoned in 1984 I believe. Not sure about the Heyworth- El Paso segment. The last major operating segment of this line was Freeport-El Paso. A potential shortline known as the Freeport & El Paso was supposed to take it over in 1983, but that fell through. The last train ran on 12/21/85, and is featured in a 1986 issue of TRAINS marching through Mendota. The line was torn up in 1986. Hope this helps. Does anyone know when the last runs were on the other segments?

#75602  by IAIS_69

Hello all. I always wondered what day and year that was when the ICG bowed outta LaSalle. The LaSalle Peru area use to be full with railroad action day and night. I also rememberd the old LaSalle and Bureau County RR that use to switch and share track with the ICG and interchange with the Rock Island. The old ICG depot stood up until 1995 when they built the water treament plant. 2 of the numerous yard tracks are still in place as a cement factory in Oglesby, IL bought the line to interchange with CSX ,wich to this day an occasional train can be seen rolling over the mile long bridge with a 44tonner. My old man showed me some pretty neat photos of the ICG before they scrapped up the line, plus the ROCK and the LS@BC......... Wished I was born earlier than 79, so I could caught a better glimpse of the railroad history!