• Old Hobo Jungles

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Owen McGee

My Dad rode freight trains during the Depression. I grew up listening to stories of his hobo days, and have developed an interest in hobo history. I get to the National Hobo Convention in Britt IA every year, as well as several other gatherings around the Eastern United States.

As I travel around, when I mention Hobos, I often hear from an old- timer something like "When I was a kid, those guys usta camp under the bridge out north of town where the High School is now." I am starting to collect material for a potential book. At least one chapter will be devoted to locating these old, long-forgotten Hobo Jungles. Since Railfans often are aware of details like this, I'm asking here....has anyone else heard these stories?

Any input would be welcome!

Owen McGee
[email protected] yahoo.com

by Conrail Cleveland East

There's a 72 minute video called "Riding the Rails",that gives a lot of the information you're requesting.This video is a "must" for those wanting to see vintage film of hobos' during the depression.Amazon.com has the video selling for $19.95,as of 2/14.Some really great interviews are of those who lived the hobo lifestyle,while riding trains coast-to-coast.

by route_rock

Heck owen we still have Hobo jungles here in my neck of the woods! One was raided and the bo's run off but if you need more info give me a shout.